General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2011 accord TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 09:26 PM
Default 2011 accord TPMS

Hi Sir
I have 2011 accord sedan exl. I have problem when idle their is no warning lights of TPMS but when im in free way and getting speed TPMS warning lights appear. I dont know how to reset cause i could not find any botton for reset. Please help!thank you

Old 09-20-2020, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

If the TPMS sensors inside the wheel are still the original sensors, it likely is one or more of the TPMS sensor batteries are dying. If it is, one or more sensor needs to be replaced. In addition to the dealer, many tire shops have TPMS tools that can tell if a TPMS sensor is bad. So, there are options out there.

A trouble code will also be stored, which certain capable scanner can retrieve. Not all OBD scanner have the capability of reading Honda SRS/ABS/VSA trouble codes.

I experienced what you described years ago, it turned out to be the sensor. I replace the one faulty sensor at the time. Then several years later, I replaced all of them since I was getting new tires; so, I decided to just get a fresh set in the wheels. Batteries do not last forever.

Last edited by redbull-1; 09-20-2020 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, have you verified all the tire pressures are correctly set? Even if you don’t have trouble with leaks, tires don’t hold air forever. Additionally, air temperature affects tire pressure, so as the cold moves in this time of year, tire pressures will naturally decrease as a result.

That said, I agree if the sensors are original, the sensor batteries are nearing the end of their useful life. 10 years is the approximate life expectancy.

The sensors are designed to activate at about 28 mph and go into sleep mode after 5 minutes of inactivity (car not in motion) as a battery saving measure. Obviously, most stop lights/signs won’t require that long of a wait, but if the batteries are failing, they may be going to sleep once a speed less than 28 mph is detected in an effort to keep the batteries alive.

I also agree that you should just replace them all at once. Single sensor replacement only makes sense if it’s been damaged or has malfunctioned for a reason other than battery life.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
If the TPMS sensors inside the wheel are still the original sensors, it likely is one or more of the TPMS sensor batteries are dying. If it is, one or more sensor needs to be replaced. In addition to the dealer, many tire shops have TPMS tools that can tell if a TPMS sensor is bad. So, there are options out there.

A trouble code will also be stored, which certain capable scanner can retrieve. Not all OBD scanner have the capability of reading Honda SRS/ABS/VSA trouble codes.

I experienced what you described years ago, it turned out to be the sensor. I replace the one faulty sensor at the time. Then several years later, I replaced all of them since I was getting new tires; so, I decided to just get a fresh set in the wheels. Batteries do not last forever.
Originally Posted by Gumby
Well, have you verified all the tire pressures are correctly set? Even if you don’t have trouble with leaks, tires don’t hold air forever. Additionally, air temperature affects tire pressure, so as the cold moves in this time of year, tire pressures will naturally decrease as a result.

That said, I agree if the sensors are original, the sensor batteries are nearing the end of their useful life. 10 years is the approximate life expectancy.

The sensors are designed to activate at about 28 mph and go into sleep mode after 5 minutes of inactivity (car not in motion) as a battery saving measure. Obviously, most stop lights/signs won’t require that long of a wait, but if the batteries are failing, they may be going to sleep once a speed less than 28 mph is detected in an effort to keep the batteries alive.

I also agree that you should just replace them all at once. Single sensor replacement only makes sense if it’s been damaged or has malfunctioned for a reason other than battery life.
thank you!