General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 Honda Accord key fob

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 03:43 PM
JW1
Default 2013 Honda Accord key fob

Ok: I have a 2013 Honda Accord Sport. I have replaced one of the older keys with a new key which locks and unlocks the doors but won’t unlock the trunk. The now #1 key locks and unlocks the doors and opens the trunk but the key #2 locks and unlocks the doors but will NOT unlock the trunk??? Is this a safety feature where only one key unlocks the trunk???
Thanks!

Old 02-13-2020, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

Did the dealership cut you a key based on your VIN, or did one of your keys get a copied?

Older accords had valet keys that could start the car, but not access the trunk, glove box, and maybe the fuel door release. The dealership could have created a valet key, or maybe you had your valet key copied?

Old 02-13-2020, 03:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Did the valet even come with buttons. I thought they were grey without buttons at least mine is.

The valet key prevents you from opening the trunk or glove with the key itself. If you had a key fob done and it's not opening up the trunk I would have it checked out. Was it a key /w fob from the dealership or an aftermarket.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I have an 07 and it could of changed with the newer models.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:48 AM
JW1

The key is a regular key which I replaced. I also have the ability to program the key. It’s possible that it’s an aftermarket key and that’s the problem.
The car came with 3 keys 2 regular and one grey valet. The 2 worked fine until the fob cracked. So I cleared all the keys and programmed them again for the car.
There wasn’t a selection for valet just the number of keys. I may try buying a new OEM key and programming it to the car and just replacing the internals. The dealer is out because he wants $80 for a key and cutting is now free. The replacement was an aftermarket key.
Hard to believe the key will lock and unlock the doors and not the trunk.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:51 AM

That is what doesn't make since. It should open the trunk also. Well let us know how it works out

Old 02-13-2020, 05:44 PM
JW1

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
That is what doesn't make since. It should open the trunk also. Well let us know how it works out

Yes!!! Crazy. I just ordered another key and hope to program then just change out the internals.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
I know when we had a second key made for my wife's car, the dealership charged 80 bucks for it, and cut it to the VIN, and programed it. It also works ALL of the key locks, front doors, glove box, floor/trunk controls, lock for rear seat, and the hatch panel between the rear sears, along with the exterior trunk lock. We've had the car 6 years now, and it was the best investment money could buy, as it allows me to work on the car and not have to have her cluster of keys. We did get a sort of valet key with it, that only unlocked the doors, and trunk (wouldn't work the other locks). It would turn the engine over, but without the chip, it wouldn't run the engine (only turn it over).