General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2017 Accord Sport Battery Dying/ Headlights flickering

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 07:34 AM
Default 2017 Accord Sport Battery Dying/ Headlights flickering

Let me start from the top I am in no way shape or form a mechanic. I only know the very basics.

Christmas Eve I went out to my car to start it and nothing, all I got was some cluster flicker and headlights appeared to be strobing but car wouldn’t turn over. After a few minutes of charging it with jumper cables from my other vehicle it started right up. Then I took it for a drive for an hour or so during that drive I didn’t know anything out of the ordinary except the fact that my driver side window didn’t want to go up or down (it was open a little bit). Upon seeing that happen I returned home with the car. With it being Christmas Eve I wasn’t able to take it to a local car part store to have them check the charging system. After Christmas passed I got in the car attempted to start it but once again car was dead and there was flicker coming from my dash. I head to the parts store and have them check my charging system, they said it’s the battery. I asked the guy who tested it if I could put a bigger battery as I have heard this is an issue with the newer Honda’s, he told me basically at this time I could because I would also have to replace the battery tray so after the new battery is installed I left. A couple days of driving go by symptom free, as soon as I thought that I noticed the car idle seemed to be tougher than normal. Once again I returned home with the car only this time as I drove home my head lights started to strobe wildly. I brought the car back home and jumped on the internet and went over to NHTSA and saw a ton of complaints about this issue happening with no solution in sight. I have a appointment at the dealership next week, but I just can’t wrap my head around how a car that is only 3 years old with 21k miles on it is already having issues. If anyone has any type of insight on this please let me know as I’m beating my head against a wall right now trying to figure out what exactly is going on. Sorry if the message is all over the place as is my brain at this moment from trying to solve this problem for a week now with some people suggesting I even trade my car in as they did with this similar problem.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide to me.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome.
I'm going to move this to General Tech. because probably more people will help out. The A/V Elect. section specializes more around sound systems.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:14 AM
Default Thanks Jim

Sorry I’m new to forum and my brain is all over the place. My apologies.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

No worries - no demerits. Each forum area has a sticky-thread with a title something like "read this first" or "what this area is about".

I'm less familiar with the newer Accords but others will probably help. The wiring harness for your alternator carries some communication from the PCM; and the PCM can control the output of the alternator. It may be that the alternator is fine but a flaky connection in that communication is interfering.