General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

5th gen radiator cap question (yes, really)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Default 5th gen radiator cap question (yes, really)

Okay, so I had to replace my radiator when I was doing my rebuild of my 96 Accord. The radiator I replaced it with is this one: murray heat transfer

It request I use a radiator cap that isn't being sold anywhere locally.
stant 10233 stant 10233

I hate ordering parts through amazon because parts are not always what they seem in pictures...are there any other brands I could look for that will fit my radiator?

Thanks for your continued help guys!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Your original radiator cap should fit, so you can pick one up from the dealership for your car.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Almost A Senior Member

So I think I know what's going on here because I sort of went through the same problem. There appears to be two "styles" of radiator filler necks for Honda radiators.

The first style uses a radiator cap which is shorter in height and it has a big outer ring with a small black puck at the bottom.
The second style uses a radiator cap which is taller, it has a large visible spring and it has no cylinder on the bottom, just a flat black rubber bung with a small metal plate.

The one you linked to looks identical to the cap I know of as the second style radiator cap. It's actually the same cap (different brand) we bought for our 95' Accord because it has an aftermarket radiator as well. The cap for it had failed the inner rubber seal had swollen up and the outer rubber seal broke apart. To my knowledge a lot of companies make either of the cap styles. You can find it at your local autoparts store or anywhere online. We picked it up from Autozone. I don't think you have to get the Stant brand specifically. As long as the cap is rated for the correct PSI and it's the right one of the two styles.

I think if you were to use the wrong one you wouldn't even get it to fit but if you did, due to the significant height differences it would interfere with the way the cap is supposed to work. If you know the Stant one you linked to is the one you need I would check a website for your local parts store and look for rad caps for your car. It will probably list two. Then I would actually go to the store ask for both and look at them to find which one looks most like the Stant and go from there.

When you actually install the cap I would double check the cap and filler neck to make sure that the height of the cap corresponds to the depth of the filler neck. If you don't already know how the radiator cap works, find out and try to visualize whether the cap you're installing would allow the cap to work the way it's supposed to. If you're using the wrong cap you'll look at the cap, look at the filler neck and realize right away that the cap wouldn't work due to the height difference.

Race Aluminum Silver High Pressure Radiator Cap 1 3 Bar Cover Small Large Head | eBay

The auction above has a nice picture showing the two cap styles along with the differences between the two styles (don't buy these caps though, they're not for your car they're just an example). The Stant cap you linked to is the one on the left. I generally refer to them as "Toyo" / second style (left, not to be confused with Koyo) and "Denso" / first style (right).

Last edited by MessAround; 06-22-2013 at 11:47 PM.