General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

6th Gen Accord Tranny: Improve JDM success?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by 99 qball
Hello. I don't know if that title says what I want, but here's the scoop. In my '99 V6 I put a rebuilt transmission, and in my '00 4-cyl LX I put a JDM ("50-65K miles"). Both came with torque converters, and with recommendation to simply install my old units' sensors/solenoids. For the JDM this is to prevent trouble codes and failed inspections, and it came with the Japanese parts still installed; for the rebuilt there were no external components present. So I pretty much just removed the old stuff and bolted it all on these units. Both cars are functional, but not perfect. JDM tranny has one issue: slow shift from first to second. DTC eventually popped up: P1738:2nd clutch transmission fluid pressure switch failure. The rebuilt is worse, with clunking, bucking, roughness, both upshift and when decelerating and downshift. My question is: would brand new solenoids and sensors and pressure switches make all the difference? Or even new o-rings? Poorman, you got me to thinking this with a link you posted to Sonnax, and an article discussing 0-ringed end plug kits. I've ordered a 2nd clutch pressure switch for the JDM and would be thrilled if that smoothed it out; I have no DTC on the rebuilt one, and I'm considering replacing all of it, speed sensors, solenoids, switches. Just trying to learn in advance what I should be hoping for. Thanks.

I just had mine rebuilt and had a problem from 1st to 2nd (no codes). Replaced the 2 gear pressure switch and it seems to have fixed it.
98 Accord 3.0 auto