General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

7th Gen Accord V6 Clutch Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 01:00 PM
Default 7th Gen Accord V6 Clutch Adjustment?

Hey gang,

I thought I would get used to it after a little while, but the incredibly clutch high engagement point on my '05 Accord is becoming more and more of a nuisance as I drive it. Does anyone here know if the engagement point can be adjusted to be lower and more manageable? The clutch itself is fairly new with only ~10k miles since installation, and most everything I've read states that the clutch is just intended to have a high engagement, however it's pretty annoying. Hoping someone out there has some ideas, or can at least definitively say it isn't adjustable.

Thanks all!
Jacob

Old 10-11-2021, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KidCubi
Hey gang,

I thought I would get used to it after a little while, but the incredibly clutch high engagement point on my '05 Accord is becoming more and more of a nuisance as I drive it. Does anyone here know if the engagement point can be adjusted to be lower and more manageable? The clutch itself is fairly new with only ~10k miles since installation, and most everything I've read states that the clutch is just intended to have a high engagement, however it's pretty annoying. Hoping someone out there has some ideas, or can at least definitively say it isn't adjustable.

Thanks all!
Jacob
Assuming you had an OEM style LuK clutch and pressure plate put in when you had the clutch replaced, then there are no adjustments per-se. Why? Because the pressure plate assembly has "self-adjusters built in, and the only way to access them is to pull the transmission and clutch, and use a special tool (or rig up something) to depress the splines and then to adjust the three self-adjusters.

If you didn't have a LuK clutch put in, then all bets are off.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Assuming you had an OEM style LuK clutch and pressure plate put in when you had the clutch replaced, then there are no adjustments per-se. Why? Because the pressure plate assembly has "self-adjusters built in, and the only way to access them is to pull the transmission and clutch, and use a special tool (or rig up something) to depress the splines and then to adjust the three self-adjusters.

If you didn't have a LuK clutch put in, then all bets are off.
I didn't have the work done myself, but the service records state that it is a LuK clutch. I had read previously that it was self-adjusting, but I was hoping I remembered incorrectly from doing research for a friend's RSX lol. Seems like I'll just have to deal with it for a while - thanks for the reply!

Old 10-11-2021, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KidCubi
I didn't have the work done myself, but the service records state that it is a LuK clutch. I had read previously that it was self-adjusting, but I was hoping I remembered incorrectly from doing research for a friend's RSX lol. Seems like I'll just have to deal with it for a while - thanks for the reply!
The thing about the self adjusting pressure plate, which is the exact same unit as in my TL, is unless it is "zeroed" before installation, it will not self-adjust. The pressure plate is "zeroed" at the factory, but because the self-adjusting mechanism is spring loaded, virtually all units arrive effectively "un-zeroed" and need to be reset prior to installation. When I got mine done a few years ago the shop I had do the work didn't have the special tool needed to reset the springs, so I bought the tool myself; if I recall correctly it cost me something like $120.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
The thing about the self adjusting pressure plate, which is the exact same unit as in my TL, is unless it is "zeroed" before installation, it will not self-adjust. The pressure plate is "zeroed" at the factory, but because the self-adjusting mechanism is spring loaded, virtually all units arrive effectively "un-zeroed" and need to be reset prior to installation. When I got mine done a few years ago the shop I had do the work didn't have the special tool needed to reset the springs, so I bought the tool myself; if I recall correctly it cost me something like $120.
Ah, that makes sense. Do you recall where you purchased the tool? I may look into it down the road as I intend to have the car for quite some time.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

I bought it on Amazon; I just checked, I paid $129.99, however I also see they don't currently have any in stock.

Old 10-12-2021, 01:13 PM

Hm. They might be available elsewhere for a reasonable price, so I'll cross that road when I get there I guess. Thanks!