General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

7th gen: anybody know if/what definitive changes are made to make a 'sulev' engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 08:46 PM
Default 7th gen: anybody know if/what definitive changes are made to make a 'sulev' engine?

Hello. I recently bought an 04 accord with 240k miles on it. It has the 2.4 sulev engine. Im trying to figure out what is making this low emission change, whether mechanically or through cpu, and what clear performance changes exist.

The car is sweet but old. Has a strange (to me) takeoff feeling. Go light and it pulls real dull and slow like a Prius. If you give the gas an inch or two, it seems to breathe, and then jump a bit. Seems there's no middle ground I can find, and it makes turning from stop awkward. Its strange. Wondering if it's the low emission code forcing the revs like this. Idk.

Also, like i said, it is old. It has a rebuilt transmission, and a quirky engine light that comes and goes, seems to revolve around ignition. Occasionally, when you turn the key to start, both the park light and drive light are lit for a second, and sometimes the car won't engage electronically on the first crank when it's doing this. Similar to a dead battery. Ive learned to turn turn key, wait 3 seconds, then crank. The first time triggered the check engine light. It could be anything, but I sense some sort of flaw in the rebuild installation. Will check code soon.

Have only driven about 200 miles in it so far. I'm looking for 3 years or 100k miles out of it, getting by with just common repairs. Wish me luck!

Old 11-22-2019, 03:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Hudsonvalley78
Hello. I recently bought an 04 accord with 240k miles on it. It has the 2.4 sulev engine. Im trying to figure out what is making this low emission change, whether mechanically or through cpu, and what clear performance changes exist.

The car is sweet but old. Has a strange (to me) takeoff feeling. Go light and it pulls real dull and slow like a Prius. If you give the gas an inch or two, it seems to breathe, and then jump a bit. Seems there's no middle ground I can find, and it makes turning from stop awkward. Its strange. Wondering if it's the low emission code forcing the revs like this. Idk.

Also, like i said, it is old. It has a rebuilt transmission, and a quirky engine light that comes and goes, seems to revolve around ignition. Occasionally, when you turn the key to start, both the park light and drive light are lit for a second, and sometimes the car won't engage electronically on the first crank when it's doing this. Similar to a dead battery. Ive learned to turn turn key, wait 3 seconds, then crank. The first time triggered the check engine light. It could be anything, but I sense some sort of flaw in the rebuild installation. Will check code soon.

Have only driven about 200 miles in it so far. I'm looking for 3 years or 100k miles out of it, getting by with just common repairs. Wish me luck!
When was the last time you did a tune up on it (plugs I guess)? Do you have any codes present?
I don't know what makes it a sulev. I don't know what makes my 99 or my wife's 00 a ulev car. Probably the programing in the ECU.
I think there's a kit out there that plugs into the ADL port and allows you to use a lap top to either check the stock programming, or adjust it for a sport driving, and then be able to reset it to stock to pass emissions. I can't remember what kit it was, but I saw it on you tube. The guy reset his, then returned it to stock to prove (to himself) it would return to normal. The guy was in Toronto Canada, and in his mid 20's. He wanted that ability to reset, as where he lives does emissions testing.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 11-22-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
When was the last time you did a tune up on it (plugs I guess)? Do you have any codes present?
I don't know what makes it a sulev. I don't know what makes my 99 or my wife's 00 a ulev car. Probably the programing in the ECU.
I think there's a kit out there that plugs into the ADL port and allows you to use a lap top to either check the stock programming, or adjust it for a sport driving, and then be able to reset it to stock to pass emissions. I can't remember what kit it was, but I saw it on you tube. The guy reset his, then returned it to stock to prove (to himself) it would return to normal. The guy was in Toronto Canada, and in his mid 20's. He wanted that ability to reset, as where he lives does emissions testing.
Thanks. Found this, came to post it and saw your reply. Ill answer soon...

We developed the Accord SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) in order to comply with California’s LEV-II SULEV regulations. The emissions system employed is characterized by applying only an under-floor catalyst to attain the super ultra low emissions levels through sophisticated control technology. The improved three-way catalyst achieves both high conversion efficiency and low back pressure while using the same amount of precious metal as was used in the Accord ULEV. (1)
To satisfy SULEV standards using only the under floor catalyst, we developed technologies to increase emissions temperatures by controlling the amount of intake air and the ignition timing before the catalyst is active. This promoted quick catalyst light-off and enabled us to obtain leaner air/fuel ratios when the engine is started than was possible with the previous catalyst system.
Also, in order to further improve the conversion performance of the catalyst once it is active, we developed a New Secondary O2 Feedback Control System. This is an extremely high precision system that identifies the dynamic changes of the catalyst in real time and utilizes a sliding mode controller mechanism to predict changes in the post-catalyst sensor output.
The implementation of these technologies makes it possible to achieve the most rigorous SULEV standards, with engine output performance equivalent to our ULEV vehicle.

Old 11-22-2019, 04:11 PM

From what i was told, the plugs were changed recently, although what's in there idk. Hopefully it wasnt just anything.

Interesting about the conversion. Thats what i was looking for ultimately.

Air flow. Yes, it feels choked. Just a strange engine. I will clean the throttle body soon, make sure its not that at least.

Haven't read the code. I think its involved with the startup procedure, as honda put in some crazy and probably elegant low emission start up system. My guess is the car's starting to do that wrong in some way.