General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

86 accord wont crank at all! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:09 PM
eazyazamp
Unregistered
Default 86 accord wont crank at all! Help!

My personal toy project has had several small to moderate problems on it's way to ultimate restoration, but I'm now at a dead stop. Recently, I noticed that my accord was somewhat sluggish in cranking and ultimately turning over the engine. These symptoms were non-exsistent before and lasted about 2-3 days. (with avg. driving 10-15 miles/ day). Around the third day, I went to start it up andinitially received the same utterly slow attempt at cranking the engine, followed by what sounded like a light "pop" and subsequent "spinning" or "whirring" sound. After trying twice more to start the car, I only got the "spinning" sound ( which I have associated to the starter). I completely removed the starter to have it tested, and it tested fine. Battery levels were good. Distributor, along with spark plugs and wires are producing sufficient spark. If it were possibly the igntion coil or wires, then the starter wouldnt operate? No? I don't know. What I do know is that I need some help as to areas to possibly check, (I'm a DIY'er) or have checked. I wanna try to avoid the shops for obvious reasons if I can, PLEASE HELP!!! I miss driving her.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Default RE: 86 accord wont crank at all! Help!

I'm suprised that the starter checked out fine.... did it come out and engage like it should? if all you hear is a spinning noise and the starter is operating normally then have someone put a socket on the crank pulley bolt and rotate it by hand, when you rotate it have someone watch the flywheel and make sure that it is spinning like it should, if the flywheel moves with the motor and you feel resistance (compression) then I'd check out that starter again.... also when turning the engine inpsect the teeth on the flywheel as it goes around, you may have a bad spot on it where a few teeth came off so the starter doesn't have anything to engauge.... check your oil to just to be safe, then after rotating the motor and checking everything/re-checking the starter, look at the "hole" where the starter goes in/enguages the fly wheel, make sure there are good teeth present, re-install the starter and try starting it again, if the motor turns over normally then starts to make that "whrrr" noise again I would guess that you probably have a "dead" spot on the flywheel...

Old 04-04-2007, 08:37 PM
eazyazamp
Unregistered

Well, I thought it would be the starter for sure, and I'm not convinced it's not. Afterall, the guys testing it seemed a little confused when operating the tester. Furthermore, I did try simply turning the small "ringgear" looking apparatus on the starter. (opposite the end of the solenoid contacts). I'm not sure if it supposed to, but it turns freely in one direction, and with enough effort (probably about as much required to twist open a Heineken bottle) it also begins to turn in the other direction. I'm not sure if this matters, just thought I'd mention it. I felt inside the hole where the starter sits and felt no gaps or damage in the teeth I could feel considering their posistion. My assumption was that these were the teeth the starter teeth would need to engage. The starter is only about two months old (although a remanufactered one). After it initially failed to crank the engine, I have removed it once, (for the test at Checker) and put it back on and still the "spinning" only. I manually tested it according to Haynes manual with an alligator clip Batt + to ign. wire connection on the starter. The starter solenoid clicked, the starter ringgear thing ejected out, and retracted fully on four attempts, and then retracted about 75% on the fifth att. I know next to nothing about starter operation but am I correct in thinking that something isn't right about that?

Old 04-04-2007, 09:04 PM

well you already did the battery test that I was thinking...*L* if it's installed already I'd have someone watch through the timing hole and see if the flywheel rotates when you try to start the car.... if it doesn't rotate then the starter isn't enguaging it... the teeth on the flywheel were fine so my brain says that the starter has a problem.... did it rotate at all when you tested it or just eject out and click? If you bought the starter at checker I'm fairly sure that's your problem.... I worked for them for almost a year and I would never purchase a starter or alternator from them, they came back all the time....

Old 04-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Well what a flashback The engine stops in 2 different spots, check the teeth of the ringear/flywheel
I used to cut the ring gears off the torque converters and reweld them back in 90 degree different spots.
With the starter off there is a big hole you can look thru and see the teeth of the flywheel/ring gear if auto.
I guess that posting 5 speed or Auto is one of those 'top secret' things huh?

Old 04-04-2007, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: eazyazamp

I felt inside the hole where the starter sits and felt no gaps or damage in the teeth I could feel considering their posistion. My assumption was that these were the teeth the starter teeth would need to engage. The starter is only about two months old (although a remanufactered one).
Hondadude do you think it's a bad starter too? have you ever used/had problems with starters from checker?

Old 04-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Hondadude do you think it's a bad starter too? have you ever used/had problems with starters from checker?
LOL LOL ,,, are you kidding me ?? does the bear s**t in the woods ?? those checker., autozone starter are a piece of crap,,
I would check the teeth in the ring gear , if none of them are damaged , install a Honda starter

Old 04-05-2007, 08:53 AM
eazyazamp
Unregistered

Thanks to all replies to my starting problem. After takingyour advice( sir_nasty and hondadude), I went over to Pep Boys ( I hope thats better guys..)and coughed up$167.00 for another starter. After installing it, I got cranking, and more cranking......! When I realized I had forgot to re-connect the distributor ground wire, my girl woke right up. Thanks a million!!!! MUCH APPRECIATION! Now... to deal with Checker.!

Old 04-05-2007, 01:52 PM

I've never had a problem with pep boys or napa so from my experience you should be fine.... at least it's working now!