General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

89 Accord Sei 2 door - clicking noise while turning

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 12:24 PM
Default 89 Accord Sei 2 door - clicking noise while turning

I have a blue 89 Accord Sei 2 door and I just turned over 60,000 original miles. I operate it and keep it on the road every year, though it does spend a bit of time parked now and then.

I'm trying to figure out what's up with the steering. I get a pronounced "clicking" noise when turning the car left or right, always more evident at low speeds. I'm told there was a kind of design flaw with this model. I'm told there are joints that are covered attaching the front wheels to the drive train. If these covers deteriorate the lubrication evidently deteriorates and the result is this pronounced "clicking" you hear when steering the vehicle either to the left or to the right.

So, what say you experienced types? Does this sound correct? What do I do to fix this???

And, while I have your attention, I would call the vehicle in new condition except for the electric antenna. While parked someone broke off the antenna. How difficult is this to replace? I'm assuming there must be aftermarket electric antennas I can use but how much of a job is this to get at the electric antenna?

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2021, 03:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The clicking to both sides when turning at parking lot speed means CV joints in the front axles are dry and well worn, like you thought. These are strong parts and the noise is 'just embarrassing;' I've driven a Nissan 7 or 10K miles without them breaking. 'Everybody' just replaces the total half-axle on eaach side, and this part will include the CV joint. U-Tube can help with the process, or any neighborhood garage can do it.

On the antenna - you could choose the easier route of a generic non-retracting replacement one. It'll likely still be a minor pain to attach, but I'm not familiar with your car model.

Last edited by UhOh; 09-22-2021 at 03:42 PM.