General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

90 Accord EX Noisy Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Default 90 Accord EX Noisy Suspension

90 Accord EX with 160,000 miles. When outside air temperature is below say 45 degrees in the morning when I leave for work, the front suspension makes a rattling noise when going over small bumps and potholes.Sounds like something is loose like a shock or strut mount. Noise goes away after the car is driven for awhile and is never heard in the summer time.

I also had an annoying squeak when going slowly over speedbumps. Fixed that by lowering the front sway bar and applied silicone grease to the bar and mount bushings. Noticed that the end link bushings were worn/split on one side but do not believe this is the cause of the rattling sound. I will change those in the near future.

With the car front end on jack stands, I checked for worn upper and lower control arm bushings. I can see rubber is present all around the bushing and bouncing the car produces no noise.Front Radius rods and bushings all tight.

Also checked all ball joints and steering for looseness.Everything seems OK.
Did notice that the tie rod adjustment sleeves seems loose when I grab and rotate them and can hear a metallic knock inside the steering rack. They are about the same on both tie rod assemblies. Is this normal?

I'm guessing that it is the front struts that are causing this cold weather noise. They are OEM and have never been replaced. How can I check the struts for wear? Or is it possible that the steering rack is the source of the cold weather only noise. No play in the steering when tires are moved side to side.

I have checked all mounting bolts for looseness and grabbed every component to check for play and everything seems about right.

Any suggestions on what else to check? Remember that this noise is most noticeable on the first drive on a cold morning and goes away after the car is driven for awhile.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:58 AM

I have a "new" old '98 and I have a similar issue. Its not enough to make me fear driving it, but it does sound like something is loose or broken on the car going over bounces.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Replace end-links, then see if noise goes away. If noise goes away, problem solved. That is a pretty simple DIY project.

If the noise remains, then you will have to do some more troubleshooting.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 PM

Do you recommend I change just the rubber components of the endlinks or change the long bolt and nut that goes thru the end link bushings. Better to get them at Honda or can I get them aftermarket.

Thanks.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Replace end-links, then see if noise goes away. If noise goes away, problem solved. That is a pretty simple DIY project.

If the noise remains, then you will have to do some more troubleshooting.
I'm not that familiar with suspension parts, what is the "end-link" and where is it located in the suspension?

Is it what the manual calls a "stabilizer link"?

Last edited by tkrotchko; 01-17-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

#2 is the busing that you can replace.

#29, 6, 7, 7....22 are the parts for the end link. If the metal parts are not rusted together or cracked, then you can reuse them. The rubber part bushings (#7) are what you want to change.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
#2 is the busing that you can replace.

#29, 6, 7, 7....22 are the parts for the end link. If the metal parts are not rusted together or cracked, then you can reuse them. The rubber part bushings (#7) are what you want to change.

Thank you! Very helpful. Another stupid question; are the endlinks only present in the rear suspension?

Last edited by tkrotchko; 01-18-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

I thought that you were the original poster with a 90 accord. The 98 has a busing and endlink, but the endlink is different. It is one unit.

#2 is the bushing. #4/5 is the end link on the front.

#4 for the bushing and number 6/7 for the end link on the rear suspension.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 PM

Thanks, plus thanks for the link to HondaPartsNow. Very much appreciated. I think that job will wait until the spring.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Default A follow-up

I replaced all 4 endlinks, and while this hasn't eliminated the clunking noises completely, it probably fixed 80% of it, and the rest is tolerable.

Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: 90 Accord EX Noisy Suspension