General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

90 Accord EX Noisy Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:14 AM

I replaced my end links with kits from Moog. Still have the noise from front end during cold weather. Noticed that the Moog replacement bushings were a much firmer material than the stock honda bushings.

Next I will replace the front sway bar bushings. Item #2 in post 6.

Any other suggestions or ideas as to what is causing this noise only during cold weather.

On warm days there is no suspension noise.

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Check the radius rods which go forwards from the front lower control arm. They attach to some frame structure way out front, so they're easy to overlook. Rotting rubber bushings up there?

Old 03-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check your tie-rod arms again. I believe you found some looseness in earlier inspection. If there is looseness (in/out) movement of the tie-rod separate from outer ball joint, the inner ball jts (under the rack end boot) of the tie-rod are worn out.

Not too bad a job to replace, but a special tool is necessary to remove the inner BJ from the rack. I think you can get a loaner tool at AZ.

good luck

Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 AM

Jim- Removed the plastic splash shield to inspect the radius rod bushings (#13 and #14 in post #6, and they all look good.
Also checked the radius rods for movement by hand pressure and everything is tight.

Noticed that after I replaced the end link kits (front end) and retightened the front sway bar to body bolts (#30 in post #6) that the noise seemed to be coming from both sides now, before it was much louder on the left side.

The front of car was on jack stands and the rear tires were on the ground.
Should the car be level (on 4 jack stands) when tightening the end link bolts and sway bar bolts. Would this make a difference?
I know it is good practice to final tighten suspension components when the car is on the ground but then I can't reach the bolts.

There is no play in the sway bar when the bolts are tightened but I know the bushings (#2 in post #6) are glazed because they squeeked before I applied silicone grease. I may change them anyway.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 AM

Texas Honda- I will check the tierods again. I did not find any play within the joint either up or down or in or out. I did notice that the rods on both sides could be rotated easily with light hand torque, that there was a metallic sound when the rods reached the end of the rotation.
Should the tie rods rotate this easily?

I also checked the upper/lower ball joints for play and all other control arm bushings. Everything is ok.

The front struts are dry on the outside but they are original (160,000 miles). Car responds normal when bounced and rides fine under all road conditions. Has anyone ever cured this cold weather rattle noise by replacing the front struts?

Thanks to all for your help.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

You might try driving the front wheels up onto a couple 2x6 boards to lift it a bit, while still resting on the wheels. Think you can reach the end-links & tighten them that way?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Yes, tie rods should rotate easily.

It may be possible for some of the rubber parts atop the strut to wear and allow washers/stoppers to make noise.

good luck

Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I will continue my search for the source of this noise and let you know what I find.
I have owned this car since it was new. It is a backup car that I don't drive everyday and will probably sell within 1-2 years, so I do not want to put any serious money into it.

Thanks again for your help.