General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

90 accord stuck in S (sport mode?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like the stater, but verify first.

You can test the signal to the smaller wire. When you try to start the car, the smaller wire to the starter should get 12V to body ground when the key is turned to the start position. You will need an assistant for this test.

Denso makes the Honda starter, so I would consider buying a Denso aftermarket starter online, after you verify that the starter is getting the correct signal. A junkyard starter is another option.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

I moved your post to the original thread. Please read below.

You need to post replies in the original thread, and not start a new thread. Just open the original thread and click new reply after the last entry on the bottom, then enter your message. That puts your post under the last post and keeps all the information in one thread. If you do not do this, then your replies are all over the place and we have to search for all of your posts.

Anyway, if the starter is making one click and no spinning of the engine, then the contacts are likely worn out along with the solenoid. Replacing the contacts and the solenoid is a pretty simple and inexpensive DIY. The other alternative to pick up a remanufactured starter. Denso makes the OEM, so I would look for an online source for denso starters.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If sport light comes back on, you may have a defective ECU. See following link for details: techauto.awardspace.com/transmission

The combination of S light on and rattling from under the dash (relay chattering) suggests your symptoms match the known problem.

good luck

Old 03-12-2011, 03:45 PM

I should have said TCU. The ECU and TCU are separate units on the 90 Accord. You may find they sell both in the carrier module that bolts to the floor board on passenger side.

If you can hear the fuel pump come on when keyswitch is turned on and run 2-3 secs, then cut off. Fuel pump is likely OK. If silence, then either bad main fuel relay or bad fuel pump. Check fuse for fuel pump also.

Check harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley for slippage. This can cause battery decline and hard starting as the battery gradually discharges. Rubber bushing in pulley slips preventing th alternator from being driven properly. Check that rubber bushing is not slipping by marking w/ a radial line across pulley, rubber, and inner drive ring.

good luck

Old 03-13-2011, 12:33 PM

Doesn't happen often, but when it does it will usually result in misdiagnosis of faulty alternator. Easy to check the radial mark for any separation in circumferential direction.

good luck

Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM

uh oh, manual ecu window flash (red) incicates code 5 , map sensor, manual says check for 5 volts with key on, I have no votage there, skinned the wire a little bit before the connector to check there, still no voltage,
Any Ideas how I'm gonna restore 5 volts to this connector?

Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Default '90 accord has no voltage at map sensor

manual says the voltage at the red/white wire should be around 5 volts I get either nothing at all , or occasionally .o1 (still pretty much nothing)
a new sensor ain't gonn do much without , supply voltage.

Haaaaalllllp!