General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 accord ec problems Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:15 AM
co1388
Unregistered
Default 91 accord ec problems Please help

I changed my spark plugs recently from the driver side to the passenger side and noticed the last three plugs had oil on the threads. The car runs fine and the only oil leak i know of is the oil pan gasket. i was wondering what it could be. Second, when i turn either left or right at speed the front end makes a squealing noise but stops when the wheel is returned to straight. Third when i did my oil change i noticed a brackt that holds the o2 sensor clip what totally unbolted and hanging, any ideas on the bolt size so i can reattach it. Fourth when i back up and lock the wheel its really hard to turn it back, and if i take off when it should normally straightin out it doesnt it remains locked. The car has 204000 miles on it and I need to know if i should be worried about this stuff. Cb7tuners didnt really help me with my questions so maybe you guys can thanks Co.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 91 accord ec problems Please help

1. Was the oil on top of the spark plugs? If so, then the tube seals in the valve cover gasket need replaced. There is a writeup in the DIY section. Most everone here likes FelPro gaskets, and you can get them at advance autoparts, autozone, etc...

2. The squealing noise is most likely from a loose or damaged power steering belt. You should check the inside for damage and replace if damaged. If the belt looks and feels ok, then just tighten it a bit.

3. I don't know the thread pitch on those bolts, but you can probably buy them from the dealership. If you go to www.hondapartsdeals.com, enter you car info in there, they have a pretty detailed diagram for all of the parts. In my 95 shop manual they are 8x1.25 mm, but check that site above for parts for the 4th gen accord.

4. If the power steering belt is slipping from part 2, then tightening it up should solve this problem too. Also check that you have adequate power steering fluid. Only use Honda PS fluid (from the dealer).

Old 01-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Most of Honda's bracket bolts are 6mm x 1mm (10mm hex head, socket size). I could not find that specific bracket in the manual.

good luck

Old 01-12-2008, 09:39 AM

i recently has a vehicle like yours. the steering wheel wouldn't center itself after a turn (in reverse or drive). turns out they slide into a curb and bent the gearbox(internally).

Old 01-12-2008, 10:55 AM
co1388
Unregistered

Wow thanks for all the awsome replies im gonna try all this stuff. The oil was on the threads of the spark plugs, not the boots.......my steering gear box might be broken? How much is that ti fix?

Old 01-12-2008, 11:48 AM

it might be bent, or the pinion adjustment on it is too tight. it cost the woman i worked on about $1200 plus an alignment. the easy way to check it is if you jack up the front end and move the wheels back and forth with your hands(not using the steering wheel). you should be able to move them relatively easily. on hers i couldn't move them at all, but with p.s. assist it would turn the wheels. it could also be an alignment problem you have. it needs to be inspected.

if there was no oil on the spark plug boots or the white part of the spark plug then it's not the valve cover or valve train seals.
when you say there was oil on the plugs when you pulled them out are you sure it was oil and not just blacked crud(carbon) or wet(fuel)? you're sure it was engine oil?

Old 01-12-2008, 04:01 PM
co1388
Unregistered

Im pretty sure it was oil, and it was wet and was like a brown almost black color

Old 01-12-2008, 11:42 PM

well, if it was oil you have a pretty goofy problem there. i'd expect the engine to be burning oil badly. are you sure it wasn't from leaking spark plug tube seals? the spark plug boots didn't have any oil on them?

Old 01-13-2008, 12:35 PM
co1388
Unregistered

It doesent smell like gas and there was asmall amounts on the outside of the boots.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:16 PM
co1388
Unregistered

o the belts for the power steering and stuff are tightend correctly i checkd today

Quick Reply: 91 accord ec problems Please help