General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 accord no start/no spark?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:43 PM
killabeezyb
Unregistered
Default 91 accord no start/no spark?

hey guys newb here gotta 91 accord died on the road, cranks wont start, no spark at all. the oil light had been flickering on and off but engine full of oil. check engine light on code 8 tdc/crank sensor. got brand new distributor, swapped a know good ecu, still same problem. any help greatly appreciated.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check for spark by spraying a good dose of starter fluid or throttle body cleaner into the air intake duct. Try starting immediately afterward. If car starts and runs for a few secs, then spark is OK and fuel delivery (Main Fuel Relay or Fuel Pump) is problem. If no start, the spark is missing and you have either an ignition switch fault (no power to the distributor), or you got a bad distributor.

good luck

Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 AM
killabeezyb
Unregistered

No spark at all, I don't have access to any wiring diagram how can I check ignition switch? Power at distributor? Wat connector/pin/color?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM

All the info you need is in DIY forum section; download of manual, procedure to check ignitor, coil.

The blk/yel wire at the distributor should have 12V w/ keyswitch in ON position. If not keyswitch assy is bad and should be replaced. Again check DIY section for procedure and search will help find also.

good luck

Old 09-03-2009, 01:37 PM
killabeezyb
Unregistered

Ok cool thanks a lot ill check that out, I'm stumped on the crank sensor code tho...ill see wat I come up with

Old 09-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Crank sensor diagnostics are also described in shop manual. It could be a bad sensor (check resistance of sensor coil), or possible damage due to improper distributor installation (distributor drive key installed backwards into camshaft drive slot).

I once installed my distributor incorrectly and got a code set because the mounting frame for the sensors was slightly bent when I forced the distributor key into engagement in the slot. I was able to repair by straightening frame and reinstall.

good luck

Old 09-03-2009, 05:24 PM
killabeezyb
Unregistered

Accodding to alldata the crank/cam/tdc sensors are in dist housing. Iv got 3 dizzys one is brand new,they all do the same thing.iv got power at the blk/yellow wire to dizzy.maybe no ground?seems like its gotta be a wire issue to me, what u think

Old 09-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

All the distributors from (nearly) the same year? Honda changed those sensors around occasionally, mostly after 95 or 96 or so.

Otherwise, you're right to suspect wiring. When the ECU throws code 8, it has no way of knowing the difference between a bad sensor vs. a broken wire.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:04 PM
killabeezyb
Unregistered

yea all dizzys are for same year, i tried to download the manual in the diy section but couldnt get it to work on my work computor. all i need is a detailed wire diagram, please anyone help

Old 09-10-2009, 08:23 AM
killabeezyb
Unregistered

Does anyone have access to hondas service website wiring schematics?

Quick Reply: 91 accord no start/no spark?