General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Accord 4cyl timing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 08:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default 92 Accord 4cyl timing

I spent the better part of the day fixing a buddy of mines timing issue. Apparently somehow the harmonic balancer fell off while his son was driving it (I don't know how that is even possible). He had a mechanic put the balancer back on (probably the one that worked on the car causing the issue initially) but the car supposedly was running so bad they couldn't even have the car on longer than seconds. Of course the mechanic didn't put loctite on the bolt again.

I went and pulled everything apart and saw that the car was out of time. I put it back in time (letting him know there's a possibility of having bent valves). Luckily as of now the engine doesn't seem to have valve issues.

I noticed when revving the car and driving the engine jerked violently which I'm assuming is bad mounts. Would bad mounts cause metallic sounds at shift points? Mind you the engine is running strong with no skips. I didn't have time to look at it further because I had a coding job to do on a friends BMW that was going to take me a while to do. I'm planning to go back tomorrow and replace the mounts and probably the header since the exhaust sounds terrible.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Bad mounts could be the issue. The front mount was bad on my 95 accord, but it didn't make any noticeable noise. The rear mount takes the brunt and could be bad.

You can have them start the car and see how much excessive vibration you have.

Let us know what you find.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:33 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Oh the engine is definitely vibrating a lot . I didn't check the mounts but told them to get the front and rear mounts. That's what made since to me at the time since I was in a rush to get to another job. The only concern I had was really the metallic sound it would have every once in a while. I couldn't pinpoint it while I was test driving but it just makes since doing to mounts to see if it rectifies the issue.