General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Accord died and would not start

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 04:53 PM
Default 92 Accord died and would not start

I have a 92 Accord. I was getting on the freeway when suddenly it just died. Had key power but engine just shut off. Checked for spark and had none. Got it towed home and went to look at it about an hour later and it fired right up. From the time I started it to the time it died getting on the freeway was maybe 5 minutes. When I turned the key on, the check engine light turned off when it should and gave that little click the relay is suppose to give when light turns off. It just had no spark. Any ideas or has anyone had this issue before?

Old 11-07-2021, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Any recent work done on your car?

No spark can be from a number of issues. You may want to check for engine codes to be thorough. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for directions.

I'd avoid throwing parts at this problem since it is intermittent. Several items can cause a no spark and you will have to troubleshoot with the car doesn't get spark.

Some simple tests are: shake the key while the engine is running and see if you can get the car to stall out. Also, grab an old windex bottle and fill it with water. Spray down the spark plug wires while the engine is running when dark out to see if you have spark jumping.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Any recent work done on your car?

No spark can be from a number of issues. You may want to check for engine codes to be thorough. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for directions.

I'd avoid throwing parts at this problem since it is intermittent. Several items can cause a no spark and you will have to troubleshoot with the car doesn't get spark.

Some simple tests are: shake the key while the engine is running and see if you can get the car to stall out. Also, grab an old windex bottle and fill it with water. Spray down the spark plug wires while the engine is running when dark out to see if you have spark jumping.
No recent work done to the car. I'll check the spark jumping thing but my issue is it suddenly lost spark while driving. I tried jiggling the key when it started again and nothing happened. Was weird. After getting a tow, I went out and tried to start it and it fired right up.