General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Accord LX Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Hep
Default 92 Accord LX Transmission Issue

Hello I am new on here and have read a couple other posts but cant seem to find help yet. I have a 92 accord LX with an auto transmission. The transmission will do one of three things. It will start in first gear then skip to 3rd and wont upshift to fourth. Or starting in first it will rev up to 7000rpm before it shifts (then shift into 3rd). lastly the transmission will work just fine and shift 1,2,3,4 without any issues (sometimes even days/weeks). I took it to 2 transmission shops they both said 2nd and 4th were gone. My logical thinking though is if 2nd and 4th are gone then why would it work just fine part of the time. I have read other postings to check the D4 light. When I purchased the car a year ago the D4 light never worked but all the other lights do. I am wondering since it shifts fine part of the time if it could be a computer issue more than the actual transmission issue. Can anyone help me out with this? Thank you

Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you need to replace the D4 bulb and then run the diagnostics test the procedure is in the DYI section of this forum.

Have you done a drain and flush of the transmission recently?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Hep

Is there another way to check / run diagnostics besides replacing the D4 light?How hard would it be to replace the D4 light?

Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM

not on your year so you need to replace the bulb.

You have to pull the cluster, not hard to do at all.

There is a write-up on this forum try searching for it.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

The 92 TCU may have a LED that you can count the flashes. Pull back the carpet on the passenger side under the glove box. There might be a plastic window with a flashing LED that does the same thing as a flashing D4 light.

The 92 may not have this. I can't remeber when Honda eliminated this.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The 92 TCU may have a LED that you can count the flashes. Pull back the carpet on the passenger side under the glove box. There might be a plastic window with a flashing LED that does the same thing as a flashing D4 light.

The 92 may not have this. I can't remeber when Honda eliminated this.
Ah yes I read about the window but have never seen one.

IIRC they had the window through 93

I had forgotten all that.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Hep

OK, so I replaced the D4 light bulb. When I turn it to the on position (no engine running) the park and the D4 light come on, then they both go off. The D4 light does not blink. But the transmission is still running the same. Would that mean that the TCU board could be bad? (I never saw a light or light window on the TCU)

Old 04-26-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hep
My logical thinking though is if 2nd and 4th are gone then why would it work just fine part of the time...I am wondering since it shifts fine part of the time if it could be a computer issue more than the actual transmission issue.
I think your logic is much better than the trans shops'. This page has lots of info on the problems you're experiencing and likely fixes:

"http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html"

Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 PM

dude you have to put a paper clip into the 2 wire connector under the glove box before you turn the key on, that is how you get the codes.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Hep

Ok, so I put a paperclip into that connector by the right food of the front passenger. turned the key to on. The park light came on and the D4 gave me codes 7 & 15. Please be patient with me as I am not well knowledgeable on cars. but is that giving me the ECU or the TCU code? your help is really appreciated!

Quick Reply: 92 Accord LX Transmission Issue