General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Accord AC and cooling fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 93 Accord AC and cooling fan not working

93 accord EX. Neither the AC or cooling fans work (even with turning on AC), Checked fuses, swapped cooling fan relay, swapped Fan timer as well.

Since BOTH fans are out im wondering if theres an issue with ground from the ECU, or maybe the Timer ground? Issue was present from the PO, so i dont know how/when it originated.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Also jumped the fan from the battery and it ran without a problem. So i know that both fans didnt miraculously die simultaneously.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

If both under-hood fuse 29 (15A) and 39 (20A) and both are good, and both fans doesn't work with A/C on, then do the following:

1. Disconnect the electrical connector to the engine coolant temperature Switch A (located near/at the thermostat housing; lower radiator hose). Use a wire or small paper clip and jump/short the electrical harness connector. Does both fans run with ignition to ON?

2. If both fans do not run in the above procedure, apply direct 12volt battery power and ground to each fan to test the motors directly. They should run strongly.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by onemandeep
Also jumped the fan from the battery and it ran without a problem. So i know that both fans didnt miraculously die simultaneously.
Did you test both fans?

Old 01-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I only tested the Condenser fan, its cold/dark and i could not get the rad fan plug to release. Tomorrow ill try that as well. Could Temp sensor A cause the AC fan to be inoperable? No AC components engage at all when i try to turn it on, so i figured the problem has to be in something the two systems share. Seems like the circuit isnt being completed somewhere

Old 01-16-2014, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Engine coolant temperature Switch A would not by itself cause the A/C fan to be inoperable. Verify the radiator fan operation; that way we can see if we can narrow down the problem area(s). It may be more than one problem (for example; a dead radiator fan motor and something wrong in the A/C condenser fan circuit).

Btw: It's a switch.

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-16-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ill test it out and post results.

SN: haha, noted

Old 01-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

fan works by jumping from battery, testing the temp switch next

Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

the issue appears to be the temp switch, Jumping the connector turns the rad fan on. The previous owner let the valve cover leak go on for too long and oil is everywhere, im going to try and clean and also checking the resistance of the switch, to see if it was just making poor contact.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Both fans should turn on when the temp. switch is jumped; so, there is also a problem somewhere in the A/C condenser fan circuit.

Quick Reply: 93 Accord AC and cooling fan not working