General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Accord, disabling ABS reservoir refill pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 03:31 PM
Default 93 Accord, disabling ABS reservoir refill pump

The ABS is trash and I would prefer to disable it due to a slow leak coming from the side of the abs pump manifold/housing (see pic). So it refills the reservoir from my master cylinder reservoir. Can I stop it from pulling fresh brake fluid by pulling the motor circuit breaker? Basically I want to isolate my master cylinder reservoir from the ABS. I don't mind if the ABS I see disabled, don't have the money for the shocking price to fix it.

Brake fluid slowly dropping from that hole.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Pulling the ABS fuse is worth a shot to see if it stops the leak. If that doesn't stop the abs pump from building pressure, try pulling the abs relay.

If this doesn't fix your problem, you can try to find a used abs modulator and install.

Using a quick google search, I found a youtube video on how to disassemble, clean, then replace the o-rings on an early 90's acura NSX. You may consider attempting on your 93 accord, but you may have to source the o-rings.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Pulling the ABS fuse is worth a shot to see if it stops the leak. If that doesn't stop the abs pump from building pressure, try pulling the abs relay.

If this doesn't fix your problem, you can try to find a used abs modulator and install.

Using a quick google search, I found a youtube video on how to disassemble, clean, then replace the o-rings on an early 90's acura NSX. You may consider attempting on your 93 accord, but you may have to source the o-rings.
Thankyou I'll give it a shot. If I pull the relay and fuse, would it also help to clamp off the inlet hose going into the abs reservoir? Just in case it's high to low pressure leeching from the main reservoir? So effectively the abs would be disabled and its source feed from the master cylinder reservoir would also be cut off. Thanks again.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:55 PM

So I pulled the abs motor relay and abs cb's. ABS reservoir is no longer sucking from the master cylinder reservoir. I haven't needed to refil it. Also my brakes actually feel a little firmer.