General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Accord LX misfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 07:18 PM

I found and cleaned four of the five grounds under the hood. The fifth one, G351, I think I got, I'm not sure if what I cleaned was actually it. I didn't clean either of the grounds under the dash, they both looked fine. I didn't get to any others. If anything, the car ran worse. I got a check engine light, but when I went to check it, still got no flashing light.

So, is a ECU my next step? I can get a used one on Wednesday for $100 and install it Wednesday afternoon or get a remanufactured one from RockAuto for $211 plus $86 core charge. But, I won't be able to get it and install it until next Monday at least. Is a remanufactured one worth the extra money and wait?

Last edited by sirtwist2; 03-06-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

You repaired a broken wire for the O2 sensor? Check that again - I think at least one of those wires is shielded.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
You repaired a broken wire for the O2 sensor? Check that again - I think at least one of those wires is shielded.
Not sure what you mean by shielded, the wire I fixed was a green wire, just a green cover over the wire, I stripped the green cover off and connected the two wire ends with a butt connector.

I was mistaken, however, there were four wires, not three. Two black wires, a white wire, and a green wire.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

OK, I thought some of those were shielded. Like a miniature coaxial cable with center wire, insulation, braided ground shield, and finally the outer insulation.

White & green are the signal wires. The 2 black wires are for the preheater.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

You also need to find G101, because that is the main ground for the ECU. Search google for honda accord g101, to see some images.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You also need to find G101, because that is the main ground for the ECU. Search google for honda accord g101, to see some images.
My mistake, I wasn't at all clear in my message about cleaning the grounds under the hood. I found and cleaned G101, I was looking in the front of the engine instead of behind the distributor.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:16 PM

Changed the ECU with a used one, didn't change a thing. It's still backfiring thru the airbox, surges at idle and at anything below around 3500 rpm, and runs like crap. I got a check engine light but still can't get any codes out of it. I'm at the end of my rope! I have no idea what else to do? Maybe the fuel pump? But why can't I get any codes out of it if it's the fuel pump?

Old 03-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

On the 90-93 accords, the ECU had a window with a LED that would flash codes. The metal plate the ECU is bolted on should have a cutout to see the window. Short the connector and see if the LED will flash codes for you.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
On the 90-93 accords, the ECU had a window with a LED that would flash codes. The metal plate the ECU is bolted on should have a cutout to see the window. Short the connector and see if the LED will flash codes for you.
I do not see any windows on the ECU. The shield has five holes, two aren't over the ECU, two have metal under them, and one has a sticker on the ECU under the hole. But, the area under the sticker is one of the holes for the electrical connections, doesn't appear there could be an LED there.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:00 PM

Someone I was talking to today about my car problems said that it sounds to him like possibly a plugged and/or damaged catalytic converter. Do you guys think this could be a possibility?

Quick Reply: 93 Accord LX misfire