General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Accord LX misfire

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:41 PM

I took the car to the local dealership. Here's what they said:

They couldn't get any CEL codes out of it either. They think the PCM is faulty, possibly causing running problems. Is the PCM another name for the ECU? If it is, I put a used one in it several weeks ago, tested from a junk yard I've done business with before. It ran exactly the same, doesn't seem likely two ECU's would be faulty exactly the same?

They say the timing is off one tooth, checked visually. I didn't know it could be checked visually? I did the timing belt, we made sure everything was lined up. It ran exactly the same after the timing belt replacement as it did before, doesn't seem likely we got it the same exact tooth off?

They also say the head gasket is blown. I did a head gasket on it two years ago.

Their recommendation is a rebuild of the current engine or a replacement engine. This seems to be a cost that is more then the car is worth

Any thoughts? I've bought a second car but would like to get this one running properly if it doesn't cost too much more then what I've already put into it.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:06 PM

Will it start and run with a rough idle? Or turn over and fire erratically? Checking to see if the timing is a tooth off can be done by checking the timing with a timing light. Also check out the distributor. Check the cap and rotor for wear and check plug wires for carbon tracking. I know many Honda guys that carry a spare distributor with them.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

To visually inspect the timing, you need to take off the valve cover. Get the cam to top dead center by rotating the engine by hand. There is a plug where the transmission housing meets the engine, remove that and see if the notch on the flywheel lines up with the mark.

An ECU controls the engine and a TCU controls the transmission. A PCM controls both. So, your car technically has only an ECU. ECU and PCM will be used to mean the same thing.

It is possible that you got two bad ECUs, but I would suggest that you start doing some electrical testing to figure out what is going on. Verify timing first, then we can go into some more detail for testing wiring.

I also wonder how they verified the headgasket is bad.