General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord DX timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Default 94 Accord DX timing belt replacement

This is a general questiong about timing belt replacement. I have a 94 Accord with 200,000 miles on it. It ran well before my daughter decided not to have the timing belt replaced. She was at a stop sign and just taking off when it broke. My question is, is this worth replacing the timing belt and replacing possible bent valves? Is there more to it if a valve is bent? Or should I just try to sell it for parts. It has a new a/c compressor, radiator, tires, o2 sensor, brakes. Windshield was replaced a year ago. Except for the usual Honda rust by the back tires the paint is in pretty good shape. I do most of the work in it except for the A/C. Just never tackled the valve train.
Thanks for your Honest reply's.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Default RE: 94 Accord DX timing belt replacement

from personal experience, because the car was stopped it's possible the damage was very mnimal. I think it would be worth putting a new belt on it. It would be best to inspect the valves and pistons, I don't know if you can do this without removing the cylinder head. Perhaps an actual mechanic can chime in here.
good luck

Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I had timing belt become mistimed (not due to breakage) from camshaft on my 97 Acura 2.5TL (similar engine to Accord 2.2L 4 cylinder). The engine stopped dead while driving due to a mechanic's error on the car (harmonic balancer bolt was not correctly tightened) while my son was away from home. I retrieved the car and re-installed timing belt and reset valve timing. Engine started but missed badly.

I had a borescope inspection performed by a local garage. This introduces a fiber optic scope into each cylinder to look at the valves and pistons. Damage to a piston would require engine removal repair or replacement. In my case only the valves were damaged. Cylinder head was pulled, valves replaced (5 bent), and new head gasket installed. Car is now running fine. Borescope is a good thing to avoid pulling head to find pistons damaged.

good luck

Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 AM

Thanks, for your responses. I will give that a try.