General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 accord ignite problems???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 10:28 AM
Default 94 accord ignite problems???

Ok so for the past 3 months or so my i would be driving my car and the engine would cut off while driving (this would happen about once every two weeks)..the battery and a couple other light indicators would light up on the dash. I would try and start my car back up and i would get spark but nothing....the car would eventually start back up after 5 minutes or so and i would go about my day. So a couple months go by and it happens again..althought im stuck this time the car will not start even after waiting 10 minutes. I then get my battery and alternator tested & they are both FINE. I called my mechanic and he said at first it was the fuel pump- ok i buy the fuel pump. Then we are about to put it on and we try starting the car before - it starts. Ok so its not the fuel pump he then "knows" for sure its the distributor. So we put on a new distributor and 3 weeks go by and the car runs great - but today the car stopped while i was driving and it did the SAME THING. The car would start after a couple tries and only run for about 30 seconds. Lucikily i was only a few blocks from home so i would start the car - it would run for about 30 seconds - then cut off and i would repeat this until i got home. I also hear like a weird high pitched noise coming from maybe under the dash that occurs when the car shuts off. And my odometer meters flicker???

WHAT IS GOING ON. this is a base model 94 accord with only 110k miles on it. Ive had it a yr and replaced spark plugs/cables. Valve cover, transmission sensor and now the distributor.

Thanks for reading and any feedback is appreciated.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Start the engine and while in park, shake the key. Does the engine shut off?