General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'94 DX wouldn't start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If it overheated badly enough to damage the VC gasket, I would be afraid of a damaged head gasket too.

Change oil too, if you haven't done that. The overheating can damage the oil too. That might sludge up the PCV valve (cheap part) which leads to excessive air pressure inside the crankcase. That in turn leads to oil leaks.
Jim,

This happened years ago (6?). I haven't had any oil leak issues since the VC gasket was replaced then... until now when I noticed the oil in the spark plug wells (which I hadn't looked into since the spark plugs were replaced in '08). So, I'll call a dealership to find out how much it'll cost to replace.

I think I'll also replace the main relay with an OEM part just as a precaution..

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Sufler,

I think that you are confusing the valve cover gasket with the head gasket.

The head gasket sits between the cylinder head and the engine block and is a lot of work to replace.

The valve cover gasket is on the top of the cylinder head. It seals the valve cover (the part that has the honda symbol and 16 valve on it) to the cylinder head. It would cost about $20 at the parts store. The gasket set will come with spark plug tube seals. Pretty simple DIY project.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, I REALLY wasn't paying attention to the timeline of things here.
Like PA says, maybe it was the head gasket way back then.

The valvecover gasket is rubber, so age & heats hardens it. Then it begins leaking. So don't sweat too much about what caused it, this just happens.

Replacing the valvecover gasket is pretty easy. Yours is on the left of this picture.
You'll get everything that #1 points to. In particular #7 is the 4 round gaskets for the sparkplug tubes.

Unplug the spark plug wires from the plugs (they can stay in the distributor).
Remove the #14 acorn nuts & lift up the valve cover.
Remove the gasket(s) & wipe clean the surfaces where the gasket goes.
Apply a TINY amount of Permatex Ultra-Grey right at the corners where the gasket jumps over the camshaft (both ends).
Put the VC back on & use the new washer/grommets under those #14 nuts.
DON'T over-tighten the nuts. Just reasonable screwdriver-tightness.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Sufler,

I think that you are confusing the valve cover gasket with the head gasket.

The head gasket sits between the cylinder head and the engine block and is a lot of work to replace.

The valve cover gasket is on the top of the cylinder head. It seals the valve cover (the part that has the honda symbol and 16 valve on it) to the cylinder head. It would cost about $20 at the parts store. The gasket set will come with spark plug tube seals. Pretty simple DIY project.
PAhonda,

Yup. I corrected myself earlier - I meant the valve cover gasket and not the head gasket.

I see that the Haynes repair manual also recommends applying "RTV sealnt to the corners where the cylinder head mates with the rocker arm assemblty."

I asked the question before but it wasn't answered. Would the oil speeing through the VC gasket into the spark plug wells prevent the car from starting?

Thanks much.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Again, the picture on the left is yours. The little plastic elbow #1 is your PCV valve. Might not hurt to get a new one (maybe $10). And check the rubber grommet around it, & see whether any of the hoses are dry & cracked.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Oil on the outside of the sparkplugs can make it misfire. It can prevent it from starting, if it's bad enough. Continued shorting across the oily surface of the plug will make a permanent track, so after you get this cleaned up, you should get new plugs.

Clean the ends of the sparkplug wires with hot soapy water. Get em nice & dry before putting them back on.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Jim,

Thanks much for that. Seems we posted just minutes apart.

Just to run things down:

1) Replace VC gasket and use sealant around corners (make sure to replace washers under acorn nuts).
2) Replace PCV valve and check for cracked hoses
3) Wipe the spark plug wires clean and replace the spark plugs
4) Replace main relay as precaution

Thanks again.

Last edited by Sufler; 08-28-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Could anyone PM me with a source for OEM main relays? The dealer quoted me $117 and eb@ymotors seems to only have refurbished ones up. I'm not having any luck finding them online.

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

The main relay might be a precaution for you, but if this stuff is caused by the plugs then the main relay isn't needed.

Oily spark plugs make it misfire, and probably sputter & almost start then sputter & die.

Main relay problem would be a complete lack of fuel. Just the same as if you remove the fuelpump fuse.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Geez we keep posting at the same time.

How are you with a soldering iron?? Remove the main relay, open it's plastic case.
Use a soldering iron to re-melt the solder joints on the circuit board.
The common main relay problems seem to be caused by soldering them together in the factory, with too little heat.

Quick Reply: '94 DX wouldn't start.