General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Ex instrument panel back lights and gear shift lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM

Yes I was able to solve the problem about 30 minutes ago.

I bought a whole new gauge cluster off ebay for cheap. Installed my old spedometer with the odometer inside the new cluster and all is well. Except I bought a manual cluster and now have no shift lights.

Before that I looked the circuit board over and over and did not find anything wrong. The Honda dealership mentioned a burned hole. I couldnt find any burn marks.

After I had everything all put back together. I took a look at the circuit board to the whole cluster again. Here is a picture inbound. Look at these solder joints. This is my problem. This is the main connector to the backlighting and fuel and temp gauges. I also fixed the lighting on the gearshifter. That was just a burned out bulb. Light bulbs burn out weird. Sometimes ones of the same manufacture date go all at once or sometimes it might be another year before one goes.

My theory is that when I took it to the one repair shop the work they might have done by playing with the cluster set caused the pins for the back lighting and temp gauge to fail. Then when Honda took it apart they broke the pins to the fuel gauge.

Last edited by ekg98; 06-13-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by ekg98
I am having some problems with my 1994 honda accord ex. .......

No backlights on instrument cluster.
PRNDL lights only work with headlight selector off.
No top lighting on the instrument cluster.
No PRNDL lights by the gearshift.

I have replaced the illumination control box with the brightness **** with a brand new one and that did not fix the issue.

I am trying to isolate the problem with a schematic. All of my backlights for heater, defogger, moonroof, cruise control , glove box, and passenger vanity light are alright. My clock dims just fine too.
Is it possible to get a copy of this schematic from you or someone else on the forum....sure could use it. Just had a lot of work done on my car and no real money left to take it to a shop for diagnosis so hoping to troubleshoot it on my own. Can any one help? Thank you.

Janet

Old 12-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PapillonOne
Is it possible to get a copy of this schematic from you or someone else on the forum....sure could use it. Just had a lot of work done on my car and no real money left to take it to a shop for diagnosis so hoping to troubleshoot it on my own. Can any one help? Thank you.

Janet
What year is your car, trim level, 4 or 6 cylinder? What issues are you having?

You may want to start a new help thread and we can try to help you troubleshoot.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Default Dash lights went out suddenly

Originally Posted by redbull-1
What year is your car, trim level, 4 or 6 cylinder? What issues are you having?

You may want to start a new help thread and we can try to help you troubleshoot.
My car is a '94 Accord EX Station Wagon, 4 cylinder. I just got it out of the body shop where they replaced the tailgate as some moron shot a hole through it. I thought it was odd that the illumination control switch had been pushed and was out and adjusted to the lowest setting so no light. I changed it back, pushed it back in, drove away and about 30 minutes later my dash lights went out. The body shop is claiming it is just a coincidence though the old tailgate's wiring harness had been messed up by the bullet. It was replaced when the tailgate was replaced. My light in the middle car also was affected & they claimed that wouldn't be but a friend stuck his finger in the bullet hole and got the light to work so obviously the wiring affected other parts of the car besides just the tailgate!

BTW, the original poster of this thread was kind enough to pm me a copy of the schematic I requested!! THANK YOU to EKG98!

Last edited by PapillonOne; 12-19-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Acknowledge receipt of schematic
Old 12-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

I created a new thread for you here to try to start to help you.

Dash lights went out suddenly

Old 12-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Thumbs up Thanks very much for setting up the new thread for me!

Thanks very much for setting up the new thread for me!