General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 LX delayed shifts when hot?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 05:29 PM
Default 94 LX delayed shifts when hot?!

Hey folks, this is gonna be a long one.

THE STORY
Bought my 1994 Accord 4 door automatic, a year ago through Craigslist. Previous owner swapped in a F23A1 (Googling says it's from a 98-02 Accord), but didn't do the harness. Upon inspection (before purchase), at idle, the gauges were all crazy spinning around. I though maybe the tach and odo were just disconnected, owner couldn't confirm. Mileage shown 132,500-ish.

Talked her down to $1,200 and had it towed to a friend's shop.
Did some work to get her running. Idle super high and rough. Acceleration was terribly sluggish. But due to my finances (SSI Disability) couldn't afford more work. He does great work, but still expensive for me.
Quoted me $800 + labor to get the proper harness. I chose to look elsewhere.

Took a while to find a shop that was recommended to me. Their head mechanic (Mr. K.Mann) has a 95 Accord wagon that he manual swapped and a ebay turbo kit on it.
When he inspected my Accord, he said he could manually rewire the harness, as he did something similar to his wagon, so I told him to go ahead. Got a phone call from him a few days later, and he said the tranny was shot, offered to swap in another tranny he had lying around from his own Accord.
So for $500 he rewired the harness and replaced the tranny.
NOW I'm thinking he messed things up, or screwed me, or just did those few things, and left everything else how it was.

THE PROBLEM
Shifts are sluggish and delayed.
For example: the first morning drive of the day, I would expect it to smoothly shift 1-2, 2-3, 3-4. It's not like I accelerate hard, I never could. Because with the throttle down, while it's shifting, it'll just rev CRAZY HIGH between shifts. So knowing when it's "supposed" to shift, I lay off the throttle a bit, let it shift, and then slowly accelerate.

Freeway driving is concerning. I can slowly accelerate to merging speeds. Once I'm doing 60+, throttle response is the same. I can not just mash it and pass another car. It'll delay the shift, and just rev crazy high again. (A few times under WOT, she'll backfire wildly. Has some loud-*** exhaust that I plan on replacing with something much quieter.) It won't catch the gear. Not 4th or 3rd. Sometimes I feel like there is NO THIRD. And I have to slow down to around 40-ish, catch 2nd gear, and try again. Sometimes it'll catch 3rd, and when it doesn't, I have to accelerate in 2nd, so I can catch 4th. Other times, she'll catch 3rd just fine.

I fear she needs a new transmission?
IF she does, I'm not opposed to going with a 5-speed swap. But if I can get her running properly within my minimal monthly budget, that would be ideal!!! There's no shortage of junkyards near me. IF/WHEN that happens, it'll probably Q1 2025.
I hope it's just bad solenoids. I've spent some hours on here searching, which prompted me to join yall. I've read lots of good information, tips/tricks, reference sites, and part numbers, etc.

WHAT I'VE DONE
Topped off all fluids: ATF DW-1, coolant, motor oil and bosch platinum spark plugs.
Replaced speed sensor with part from Autozone and now odometer works, and throttle feels a tad bit better.
https://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...icleId=1958901

I came across a similar issue from one year ago Transmission Shift/Lockup Solenoid Identification Question
The first post shows exactly the same part on my Accord, and the exact same part he bought.
I bought this on ebay Shift Control & Lock Up Solenoids 28200-PX4-014 For Honda Accord Prelude

This is the part we got from ebay: - Shift Control & Lock Up Solenoids 28200-PX4-014 For Honda Accord Prelude - Manufacturer Part Number: 28200-PX4-014; 28300-PX4-003

The original poster (OP) states that he drove it after installing the above new part, and it has resolved his issue. I am hopeful it'll work for me too.
It's 105 here in El Paso right now. Will wait till later today to swap it out. Keeping my fingers crossed.

This is the tranny that Mr. K.Mann swapped in. No amount of Googling got me any answers.

transmission serial number? MP-0A-1008052

Old 07-02-2024, 01:21 PM

Have replaced both the shift control and lock up solenoids.
Was optimistic. but now it drives worse.

Even more sluggish pulling out the drive-way.

Old 07-03-2024, 04:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Do you have the correct PCM for the F23A1

Old 07-03-2024, 08:07 PM

UPDATE:

I successfully replaced both the Shift Control & Lock Up Solenoids today.
Acceleration from a stop has improved. It's still not shifting quickly, though.

---

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
Do you have the correct PCM for the F23A1
That's doubtful. Honestly, I haven't checked.

But I'm thinking it's located in the foot well of the passenger, right?

I can check today and share what I find.

There are plenty of junkyards in my area. So, with my Google Skills, I learned the F23A1 comes from a 1998 to 2002 Accord. That right? So I know what to look for, if I gotta hit up the yards.
ALSO, any PCM from those applicable years? Auto only!? or would a manual work, as I saw one there last week.

Old 07-03-2024, 09:35 PM

# 37820-P0B-A50 is what is currently in the car.
# 37820-PAA-407 is what I need.
I found that by searching here https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...204AT&filter=()

IF ANYONE can confirm that this is indeed the part that I need, I will start searching the yards or ebay.

Old 07-03-2024, 10:07 PM

I think in 1995 Honda changed to obd2. I expect you need to update a lot more than the PCM. Just do a web search for putting a F23A1 into a 1994 Accord.

Last edited by kris_loehr; 07-03-2024 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 09:23 PM

I think in 1995 Honda changed to obd2. I expect you need to update a lot more than the PCM. Just do a web search for putting a F23A1 into a 1994 Accord.
I found out that the OBD port is supposed to be behind the ashtray? Odd thing is, there are NO check engine, nor any other lights on the dash.
I pulled the ashtray out, and no port in sight. Man. I'm thinking I bit off more than I can chew with this car

This is the ECU I suppose I need to replace?

On ebay, I can't find that exact part number, but I do find these other ones.
I'm guessing I gotta keep searching?

And I'm thinking this as well?

By the way kris, I appreciate you taking the time to comment and help me out. Looks like are pretty active around here. Am sure lots of folks appreciate you.

Old 07-06-2024, 12:35 PM

I haven't been on this site for years but with the forums help I was able to replace the timing chain on my 2014 Accord and I need say thank You. I haven't been a mechanic since 2006. So I am limited to what I can answer.

Old 07-07-2024, 09:51 AM

I haven't been on this site for years but with the forums help I was able to replace the timing chain on my 2014 Accord and I need say thank You. I haven't been a mechanic since 2006. So I am limited to what I can answer.

If I can't find "37820-PAA-407", would those others work?

I found the "407" on ebay for over $300, and one of the ones in green for under $60 🤔

Old 07-10-2024, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

The 1996 4-cylinder accord was OBD2. Your 1995 accord is obd1, so your 95 won't have the OBD2 connector.

Do you know what year, trim, etc. of the replacement transmission?

Quick Reply: 94 LX delayed shifts when hot?!