General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 LX Rides Like a Pair of Moon Boots!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation 94 LX Rides Like a Pair of Moon Boots!!!

So after fixing all me electrical issues with my car, I need to tackle the suspension, and I could use some suggestions. The problem is mostly with the rear. When I hit a bump or rough spot at low speeds, like driving through a parking lot, I feel like I知 driving a pogo stick for about 5-10 seconds. At higher speed, the bounce is not as violent, but it feels like the car is floating up and down and like I could lose control any second. If this happens when turning (like getting on the interstate on-ramp), it feels like the rear end slipped on a banana peel and barely caught itself lol.
so, I知 thinking shocks, but I知 not sure if there痴 something else these symptoms indicate or not. Mostly due to my lack of knowledge when it comes to describing the symptoms in a way that leads me to clear answers, as you can probably tell by now.
As for the front, there痴 a slight shake or wobble on the right side at high speeds. Perhaps a tie rod end? I知 going to the pull-a-part tomorrow so any suggestions on things I could get would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 09-01-2018, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by briansipsy
So after fixing all me electrical issues with my car, I need to tackle the suspension, and I could use some suggestions. The problem is mostly with the rear. When I hit a bump or rough spot at low speeds, like driving through a parking lot, I feel like I知 driving a pogo stick for about 5-10 seconds. At higher speed, the bounce is not as violent, but it feels like the car is floating up and down and like I could lose control any second. If this happens when turning (like getting on the interstate on-ramp), it feels like the rear end slipped on a banana peel and barely caught itself lol.
so, I知 thinking shocks, but I知 not sure if there痴 something else these symptoms indicate or not. Mostly due to my lack of knowledge when it comes to describing the symptoms in a way that leads me to clear answers, as you can probably tell by now.
As for the front, there痴 a slight shake or wobble on the right side at high speeds. Perhaps a tie rod end? I知 going to the pull-a-part tomorrow so any suggestions on things I could get would be greatly appreciated!!!
Honestly I would not recommend putting 20+ year-old suspension parts from another Accord from a junkyard on my vehicle. In the rear I am sure you need rear shocks and upper control arms. Always remember your life rides on your suspension and tires. For the front inspect with the car on jack stands for tie-rod wear and upper and lower ball joints. For replacement parts I tend to use OEM and if I go aftermarket, MOOG parts tend to close to OEM quality IMO.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I’m hoping to find some that look like they were recently replaced. I know there’s not a huge chance I’ll get that lucky, but since I’ll be there already (they’re having 40% off everything), I figured it may be worth a shot as long as I can look them over to make sure they look like they’re in good condition

im mainly looking to make it better than in is now. I’ll hopefully be buying brand new in a couple months but I would like to feel at least marginally safer until then.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Why screw around with used parts when new rear strut assemblies for your car can be had from RockAuto for less that $40 per side?

Old 09-02-2018, 08:14 AM

Those strut assemblies are often fairly chintzy. Chances are the coils are fine and only the struts need replacing. I would replace the struts with a quality brand such as Bilstein, KYB, or Koni. Stay away from the cheap brands unless you only plan to keep your car for a short while. I bought the KYBs from Shock Warehouse.

Last edited by 75Gremlin; 09-02-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

RockAuto sells a Monroe strut assembly for $43.79, no need to pay KYB premiums for such an old car.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:58 AM

" no need to pay KYB premiums for such an old car. "

very true!!! (unless you plan on keeping the car).

the monroes only last approimately half as long as the kybs .... check out the kyb prices on Shock Warehouse

Old 09-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

An odd statement to say the least. If anything I would say KYBs, on average, have a shorter lifespan than comparable Monroe shocks and struts. Regardless, none of the aftermarket units seem to last anywhere near as long as OEM equipment, so if longevity is the goal, buy from Honda direct.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:28 PM

Shipo

We can agree to disagree, all in good fun. Like the Corsair, BTW.

Over 40 years of experience with many brands of shocks/struts. I gave up on Gabriel and Monroe years ago, due to them not lasting. In all fairness, I haven't tried them in years so maybe their newer products are better.

My personal preference is Bilstein or Koni, even over the OEM. In general, the KYB products are not as good as those two.

Also, the Honda struts are good quality.

KYB vs Monroe:

https://cozystream.com/kyb-vs-monroe...ews-different/

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...s_KYB....again

https://community.cartalk.com/t/qual...orbers/94367/7

from the above link:

"BTW, I was an engineer for a former GM division that made shocks and I’ve cut apart many brands of shocks and struts to see what is inside. Monroe is a bottom feeder especially their aftermarket replacement parts, Gabriel is a bit better, KYB, Showa and Boge/Sachs (now TRW) are better yet. All are OEM suppliers. Premium suppliers would be Koni or Bilstein."

Old 09-02-2018, 03:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I ended up not getting any from the yard today. I will probably end up getting new ones when I can afford them. I was really just needing some to last at least a few weeks, and figured if I could get them for $9 each it may be worth it. It will most likely be at least a month before I can get new ones, but hopefully I can make it until then with the ones I have.
its been a hell of a month having my accord on the fritz since I got it, then having it and 2 other cars break down within two days. I’ve learned a lot though, so at least there’s that.