General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 accord no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Default 95 accord no start

i recently purshased a 95 accord 2.2 non vtech and as i was driving it home it just cut off on me. now it wont start the starter turns but it is not firing. i can hear the fuel pump kicking on when i turn the key and i opened the bleeder valve on the fuel rail and gas came out. i havent checked for spark yet because i didnt have anyone to turn the key for me but i dont think that is the problem i know that the oil light came on while i was driving and it stays on while i try to start the vehicle the guy i bought the car from said that it was the oil pressure switch, but i am thinking maybe the oil pump is bad? or the screen is clogged or something of that nature this is my first honda so i dont really know their common problems. can anyone tell me how to check if my pump is bad and would that cause the car to not start from a lack of oil pressure also could the pressure switch being bad cause this problem also? the car is in the parking lot of a taxi company and i would like to at least get it to my house which is only 10 minutes away please any info would be greatly appreciated thank you

Old 06-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

A bad oil pressure switch wouldn't cause your problem. Check that the engine oil level is between the two marks on the dipstick just to be safe. Add oil if it is low.

If something is causing the oil pressure to be too low, that can damage the engine. I would immediately change the oil and filter if you have never done that on the car once you get it home.

You should check for spark. If you have a timing light, that will make it easier.

You can also check for error codes stored on the ECU. All you need to do that is a thin piece of wire or a thin paperclip. See these instructions. dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Old 06-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

chk timing belt, if ok, since you said you are getting fuel.. chk for spark or lack of it,,

Old 06-12-2010, 04:26 PM

ok so i went to check for spark and found the spark plugs drenched in oil so i need to change the seals after i dried off the plugs and wires i tried to start it and no spark coming from the distributor could it just die like that? also is there anything else that could cause no spark?

Old 06-12-2010, 05:12 PM

Is the rotor turning in the dist. ?

Old 06-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

There's a bunch of things that can cause a no spark condition. Bad timing belt, one of multiple sensors, the coil, the igniter, bad cap/rotor, bad plugs & the ECM/ECU. The igniter and coil seem to go bad together and with no warning, these are the high runners. Oil on the upper part of the plugs is from the seals on the valve cover. Download a manual and start troubleshooting. How many miles on it?

Old 06-14-2010, 12:42 PM

the car has 127000 miles on it the timing belt is brand new unless he installed it incorrectly but i dont think so because i was driving the car for about 45 minutes before it cut off and it was running smoothly

Old 06-14-2010, 12:47 PM

where can i download a good troubleshooting manual? because i dont want to just start replacing parts that arent bad so i would like to confirm that it is the distributor

Old 06-14-2010, 01:39 PM

I asked about the rotor in the dist. turning to verify that the timing belt hasn’t failed. With the oil light on then the vehicle stops running I think it is something worth verifying. You can usually take off the oil cap and see the cam lobes to verify. There are not many common problems on your Honda and the 1995 is one of the most reliable Honda has made. The oil light coming on could be something serious or just a sending unit. A cam could Seize from lack of lubrication.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

I think there's something in the DIY section - look for a sticky-thread about repair manuals.

Quick Reply: 95 accord no start