General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 accord won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey guys it's been a few days since I've messed with the accord. One thing I forgot to mention in my original post was that the last time I had it running was before I took the old seized alternator off, I had taken the belt off so it would run. But since I've taken the alternator off, it hasn't started back up. Please tell me I'm right in thinking that since the alternator isn't plugged up that it's not completing the circuit (aka open circuit) I'm buying a new alternator tomorrow any way since the old one is seized.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

If your alternator is not connected, then the car runs off the battery until the battery gets drained. You should charge the battery regardless to ensure you have enough amps to start your car.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I've been starting it with a jump box. It started it no problem before I took the alternator off. Now ever since I took it off, it hasn't started

Old 08-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok guys...I'm stumped. I can put a power probe to the hot wire to the fuel pump. And the pump turns on but the car still will not start. I haven't checked the main relay yet because to be honest with you I've never messed with one and don't know exactly where it is and when I look it up on alldata it's a very generic picture. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

The "main relay" is actually just 2 relays combined in 1 case. One relay provides power to the ECM and to a couple other things IIRC. The other relay provides power to the fuel pump.

While you haven't absolutely ruled out the main relay, you have ruled out the common way that it fails (power to fuel pump), by showing that the engine still doesn't start while the fuel pump is running.

Right now I'd say don't take ANYTHING for granted, back up, and treat it like any non-start problem.
1) Does the starter spin the engine? (yeah it's a silly question, but still...)
2) Is there fuel? (includes injectors firing, not just the fuel pump running)
3) Is there spark?

PAhonda, do you have a circuit drawing for 1995? Is it possible that unplugging the alternator opens a circuit somewhere that's different from simply removing the belt & leaving it plugged in?

Old 08-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the quick reply.
So I take it that the main relay is the biggest one under the dash, by the steering column?
1. Yes the starter spins the engine
2. I haven't checked the injectors yet.
3. It has spark (I had it actually running 2 nights ago by just spraying starter fluid in the intake.) it died as soon as the starter fluid burned off.

I've never had a car start 2 days in a row and then not start for 3 weeks without doing anything different.

I have installed a new alternator and belt

I'm thinking the reason the PO wired a push button start is that there is an issue with the ignition tumbler maybe?

Electrical is my weak point, I absolutely hate diagnosing electrical issues

Old 08-03-2016, 11:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
PAhonda, do you have a circuit drawing for 1995? Is it possible that unplugging the alternator opens a circuit somewhere that's different from simply removing the belt & leaving it plugged in?
I know on my 97 that it WILL throw a code. The ECU is also looking for a signal from it, that reads voltage, and if it's not getting 1, it'll throw up a code. Same with the brake lights. :O

Since it runs on starting fluid, it sounds like it's the Main Relay, or you're having the same problem I had (no power to the injectors). If the relay is bad, this can happen too, versus mine where I had no power to the injector resistor pack, but power everywhere else it needed to be. On it, I brought a jumper wire over from the battery, removed a little insulation on the wire, and hit the key. It fired right up.
I spent a month out there after work, tracing wires with a VOM, back probing the ECU, the works. I was actually getting ready to send it to the dealer.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm thinking it has something to do with a bad ignition tumbler or a bad ecu.

Like I stated earlier I bought the car like this under the impression it needed a fuel pump, but I can use a power probe and put power to the fuel pump and the pump will start running and the car still will not start, it just cranks and cranks.

No power to the injector resistor pack, you say? Haven't thought of that...I will do some more searching after work.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest repeating the start w/ starter fluid. If engine will consistently start w/ starter fluid then problem is fuel delivery. Main fuel relay, fuel pump, wiring, or fuel injectors not firing (no power to injectors or lack of ECM control signals to ground/fire injector).

My 94 EX had a sticking fuel pump that would intermittently fail to start, resulting in no-start. Make sure that pump consistently runs when power is available.

good luck

Old 08-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I can hear the fuel pump constantly running when I use the power probe to the fuel pump. But still no start. It will start every time with starter fluid. I'm convinced it's in the ecu because I've had it running under its own power a couple of times but now it just cranks. A guy I woke with, who has been a mechanic for 20 years and has a semi built 95 accord just like mine, thinks it has to do with my ignition tumbler (since its been by passed and has a push button start) I can't seem to find my volt meter to see where I'm losing power.
If it's not one thing it's another.

Quick Reply: 95 accord won't start