General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 throwing abs code 5-2.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 01:41 AM
Default 95 throwing abs code 5-2.

Ok so did a swap in my 95 accord . I put a 97 accord vtec and switched the automatic trans to 5 speed. So my car started having the tachometer jump erratically and then will loose power or jurk. Ive had it completely die driving down the road and had to pull over. Ive changed spark plugs and wires. Distributor and cap 02 sensor up and down stream. Ignition switch and a few other things i just dont know what to think. Abs is throw a 5-2 code yes i checked it 4 times same code and the ecu is throwing 20. Help some one else have this issue

Old 01-12-2021, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

I'm going to move this to General Tech, because the "new member" area is mostly for welcome & introduction posts.

How did you deal with the 1997 engine being OBD-2 while the car is OBD-1?

Is the car an LX or EX? (IOW did the car come with a VTEC engine?) If it's LX, how did you handle the VTEC actuation?

Old 01-12-2021, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Let us know what JimBlake as asking on what was swapped aside from the engine. Also, what happened to your 95 accord that required an engine swap.

A code 20 is an issue with the electrical load detector. The problem could be a something electrically detected by the ELD or the ELD itself. I would avoid swapping out parts until you do some troubleshooting.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I'm going to move this to General Tech, because the "new member" area is mostly for welcome & introduction posts.

How did you deal with the 1997 engine being OBD-2 while the car is OBD-1?

Is the car an LX or EX? (IOW did the car come with a VTEC engine?) If it's LX, how did you handle the VTEC actuation?
so the moter was toast. I like my accord body style lx non-vtec 5 speed. Was looking to get the same motor and got talked into putting an f22b1 vtec automatic. I kept my trans i like the manual better and had just replaced the trans like a month before my car went to crap. So i kept the OBD1 harness cause the OBD2 harness was trashed cut wires everywhere. Changed the distributor from my old motor to the new one. I got a jumper harness for the vtec. Then changed my ECU to P0A .i have the ecu for the 97 moter but dont have the obd2 harness. It drove great at first . Then started having problems with the tach jumping erratically and loose power for a seconed or to then be ok. Of course it got worse. To stalling out while driving. And now bucking hard. All start with my tach going crazy then stalling or bucking. Before i checked the codes i changed anything i could that might have to do with the tach at first and or needed for a tune up any ways. None of it helped. Then i checked the codes. I never had to work on a car before my husband always took care of it he was a gearhead. I know more now since his death then i ever thought i would. Ive read both manuals and looked through so many forums. Some of it i dont quite get but im learning.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:05 PM
Default Reply

By the way my name is Lorrie. I didnt think i would be taken seriously if people knew i wasnt a guy.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

I looked on Majestic's site and found the ECM should be P0H or P0A (for a 1995 sedan EX with manual trans). But the P0A is discontinued. I don't know the 5th-gen as well as some other people, but maybe there's a reason the P0A was dropped??

But since it worked well at first, makes me think of something flaky with the wiring. What about parts of the wiring harness getting damaged while the engines were taken out & in? Cut insulation might take awhile before water or corrosion get to the point of causing problems. Unfortunately that's a horribly tedious job to check all that out.

edit:
Good for you swapping the old distributor, because the OBD-2 distributor from the 1997 would not have the right wiring. But it just dawned on me the 1995 VTEC distributor might be different from the 1995 non-VTEC one??

Last edited by JimBlake; 01-13-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

OK, the distributor is different between 1995 LX and EX. The EX used a Hitachi and the LX used a TEC. I don't have any way to know if they work in the opposite engine. If someone has a shop manual for 1995 maybe there's some way to know from there.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Lorrie - I hope that most members wouldn't treat you differently knowing that you are a gal. If you experience any issues with members on here, send a moderator a message and we will likely ban any offenders on here.

How long did the car drive great until you started having problems?

What is the full part number for your ECU? It should be 37820-P0A-XXX.

If you have a shop manual for your car, look up the location of G101. I attached a pic. That is an important ground that is bolted to the driver's side of the upper intake manifold. Make sure that the eyelet and bolt are clean and you have a solid connection. Since you swapped the engine, check the wire as much as possible to see if it got damaged.

G101

Old 01-14-2021, 06:32 PM
Default Reply

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Lorrie - I hope that most members wouldn't treat you differently knowing that you are a gal. If you experience any issues with members on here, send a moderator a message and we will likely ban any offenders on here.

How long did the car drive great until you started having problems?

What is the full part number for your ECU? It should be 37820-P0A-XXX.

If you have a shop manual for your car, look up the location of G101. I attached a pic. That is an important ground that is bolted to the driver's side of the upper intake manifold. Make sure that the eyelet and bolt are clean and you have a solid connection. Since you swapped the engine, check the wire as much as possible to see if it got damaged.

G101
thank you i will look that up . And my Ecu is P0A A01. I appreciate your insight. Ill let you know what happens next. Lol .and it took a coulpe months before it started giveing me issues. About the time everything should have settled.lol

Old 01-15-2021, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Inspect any wiring harness modifications, since the car was running well for a few months.

I'll look at the ELD circuit, but let us know the voltage at the fuse box + and - wires when the engine is off and when running.

If you have the free 94 shop manual that is available on the web or purchased one, locate and clean every ground you can find in the engine bay. Also clean the connectors for the battery posts.

Quick Reply: 95 throwing abs code 5-2.