General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Accord bleeding oil like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey guys, just rounding up all the necessary parts for the install. I'm hoping maybe someone can double-check the gear that I have so that I'm properly prepared. Here's a run-down of the parts I'm installing and the tools that I have, or will be purchasing:

Replacement items:

Timing belt, balance shaft belt, timing belt tensioner, balance shaft belt tensioner, timing belt tensioner spring, balance shaft belt tensioner spring, water pump w/ gasket, camshaft seal, crankshaft seal, balance shaft seal, drive belts, balance shaft seal retainer kit

Tools:

18" 1/2-inch drive breaker bar
25" 1/2-inch drive breaker bar
24" 1/2-inch drive extension
4-5" extension pipe
A piece of wood to hold the engine on a jack
19mm 1/2-inch drive deep impact socket
Honda pulley bolt tool
Two floor jacks, two jack stands
Standard socket set and tools
Grey gasket sealant
Antifreeze and oil
Timing light (if needed)

Thanks again for all the help. You folks sure are kind!

Last edited by noiseordinance; 04-02-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

No thoughts? I'm about to order a significant portion of this stuff today and could definitely use a little feedback.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:52 AM

Looks like you have it all covered. I think the worst part of that job was getting the balancer bolt off. Took mine to a buddy that used a 3/4" inpact running 190 psi. With that the bolt came right off.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks much for checking my parts list, LS-300, and also, thanks for posting the great photos earlier in this thread. Super helpful. You mentioned the balance bolt difficulty. PAHonda mentioned earlier that there are pointers on removing this thing. Is this at all like the crank pulley bolt where wrenching on it causes it to spin and it needs to be held in place?

Anyways... ordering stuff now, kinda excited. Also going to purchase the Eric the Car Guy video as directed earlier. I watched the out-of-engine timing belt swap and that was plenty helpful, so now I'd like to see it done on a car with engine.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

The harmonic balancer and crank pulley are the same thing, so the harmonic balancer bolt is the same as the crank pulley bolt.

I didn't see something obviously missing from your list. Take a picture of your setup to remove the harmonic balancer bolt and post it on here (or any other pictures that you feel like taking).

Remember to start off by removing the plastic cover(s) for the harmonic balancer bolt, then remove the bolt before doing anything else.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The harmonic balancer and crank pulley are the same thing, so the harmonic balancer bolt is the same as the crank pulley bolt.

I didn't see something obviously missing from your list. Take a picture of your setup to remove the harmonic balancer bolt and post it on here (or any other pictures that you feel like taking).

Remember to start off by removing the plastic cover(s) for the harmonic balancer bolt, then remove the bolt before doing anything else.
+1, good luck

Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hehe, well my face is red. Thanks guys, didn't realize they were the same thing. I guess what I'm curious about is the kit I'm purchasing contains a "camshaft seal, crankshaft seal, and balance shaft seal". These are essentially located behind three different pulleys that hold the timing belt right?

Edit: Perhaps the difference will be apparent once I watch the Eric the Car Guy video a few times.

Last edited by noiseordinance; 04-03-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:32 PM

it will be obvious once the covers are off.
The crank bolt can be very hard to loosen

Old 04-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Your list of tools look pretty decent..

Start spraying the crank bolt with some kind of penatrating oil in advance.

Do you have access to torque wrench's for the reassembly, or just planning on winging it...

This will be alot of fun for you, take picures along the way.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a little late but some things I would think about. The drive belts have to come off (ac, ps, ect) so if they have miles on them.....why not. EDIT: I see these on the list now that I read....sorry.

Next, easier to spin the motor to TDC and that when the plugs are out, so same thing-if they have miles on them