General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Accord A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 96 Accord A/C question

The air blows warm, Compessor does not engage, I attempted to fill the system with r134 but the system will not accept any.

Im not new to cars, or A/C but I am to Honda's lol

I heard that there is a safty pressure switch on the comp that can go bad and cause the system to not fuction.

Any help would be great! Helping a freind with her car!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 PM

I have a 95LX, there is a pressure switch that prevents the compressor from running with low freon. I don't recall where...I'd have to look at the book, or search here. AC guys will short it out to get the compressor to run. Running it without freon is not good. I have worked on many Fords, actually ran 12v (jumper) to the compressor for testing, and/or to turn it on to accept freon. AC stuff can be real simple, if it just needs a re-charge. It can get complicated if there is a leak (bad components) or the system vacuum has been broken. Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It is not good to add Freon if you don’t know how much is in there. It may be fully charged and you have no power going to the compressor. It will only take so much without the compressor engaging. There is a manual for a 1994 Accord on the DIY section of this forum and it should have the low pressure switch location and be the same as your year.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Sicmaro
The air blows warm, Compessor does not engage, I attempted to fill the system with r134 but the system will not accept any.

Im not new to cars, or A/C but I am to Honda's lol

I heard that there is a safty pressure switch on the comp that can go bad and cause the system to not fuction.

Any help would be great! Helping a freind with her car!
first off,, evac ,( note how much freon you remove ) put system under vacc and recharge only add about 16-20 oz of freon ,, read the pressures and post them here....there are different # of reasons why compressor does not engage ,,first you got to make sure that system has enough freon to engage the compressor,, Like kris said it is not a good idea to just add freon when a/c is not working,, too much freon can and will damage the compressor ,,,

So,, put the correct amount, read the pressures and let us know , also chk to make sure that BOTH fans come on ,,,

Old 07-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Is the compressor a 12 volt hot or a ground switch? will the 2nd fan come on with the a/c switch or only when the compressor engages?

Old 07-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

When it's running properly, both fans will cycle with the compressor. Not simply full-time with the AC switch.

Both fans will also cycle with the fan-switch (high coolant temperature), regardless of the AC switch.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok, got gauges. bypassed the pressure switch, compressor and fans working. reading on the low side is very high...... about 150. (the gauge set has a spot that appears to say retard? the needle is in this area and read between 120-350. the high side reads 150.

what do you guys think?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Did the gauges fluctuate when the engine was running with the a/c turned on coldest setting, air set to recirculate, and both front doors open? Did the pressure pretty much equalize when the engine was turned off?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Did the gauges fluctuate when the engine was running with the a/c turned on coldest setting, air set to recirculate, and both front doors open? Did the pressure pretty much equalize when the engine was turned off?
the gauges didn't really move much. let it run for awhile the high side lowered a little bit but not much. when i turned it off they didnt move.

and yes coldest, high, recirc, windows all down.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure that the clutch plate outside of the compressor pulley is spinning with the pulley?

As for your other question, the compressor is engage with voltage. There is a 1-pin connector going to the compressor. Does the compressor get 12V on the red wire when you turn on the a/c?

Quick Reply: 96 Accord A/C question