General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 accord ex p/s a/c removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice
take your old belt, cut it, then place it on just the alternator and mark where it would be right. then measure the length.
what is the length measured in and do i just ask them for an alternator belt for the appropriate length or is there a proper name for the kind of belt?

got my p/s out today except for those damn hoses that go underneath the intake. what do they go to?

and also can i just drain the ac system myself and if so how do i go about doing this

Last edited by bdmlilburn; 04-30-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Just measure it in inches, and count the number of "ribs" on the belt.

As for draining your AC, it is technically illegal to do yourself, as its illegal to release the chemicals into the atmosphere. But just undo any of the valves or pipes and it will release it.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Because someday it'll be 90 degrees & your girlfriend won't want to get in the car with her clothes on, & ...

wait a minute...

Yeah, WHY would you want to leave the compressor?
I like where this is going...

Originally Posted by CBFeuls
lol, the drag created when you drive with ur windows open is more dedimentary than having A/C... i learnt that AFTER i removed it. darn my BCIT teacher!
Originally Posted by bdmlilburn
you think this would work for me?

i have thought about just going up to autozone and asking them for a belt for my same car except no a/c but thats seems like it would be too easy.

how do i measure the length i need?
That's what I did... Accord DX belt. They have a no-A/C version, guaranteed.

Originally Posted by JimBlake
That's exactly what a DX belt is. Generally for most years, Accord DX is the stripper version without AC.
Stripper eh?

Just measure it in inches, and count the number of "ribs" on the belt.

As for draining your AC, it is technically illegal to do yourself, as its illegal to release the chemicals into the atmosphere. But just undo any of the valves or pipes and it will release it.
Naughty, naughty. You can get frostbite from the R-134a refrigerant. It's safer to just unscrew one of the caps and push the Schrader valve in with a small screwdriver wearing gloves. Just like giving someone you don't like a flat tire...

Old 05-01-2009, 12:12 AM

after relieving the pressure where would be the best place to drain the fluid? i may just leave the components in there for awile and research this a little more. it looks like the new belt will have plenty of clearance without taking the ac out.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

It kind of all just come flying out in a cloud of gas, not really any liquid. Don't really want to breathe it in either, so just unscrew it and run.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:29 AM

It kind of all just come flying out in a cloud of gas, not really any liquid. Don't really want to breathe it in either, so just unscrew it and run.
holy **** its gonna be a straight up gas. damn maybe i should just take it to a shop. im sure they won't charge too much to take out the stuff

Old 05-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Probably like $20 to discharge the system.

R-134a is hydrocarbonfluorocarbon chains, they're gaseous at room temperature.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by finch13
Probably like $20 to discharge the system.

R-134a is hydrocarbonfluorocarbon chains, they're gaseous at room temperature.
thank you very much. you guys have been soo much help. went up to autozone and easily got a new belt for my exact model but with no a/c

just one more question. how tight should i have the alternator belt. it seems to be tighter without having the adjuster bolt only halfway to where it was with the ac on. i can push on the middle of the belt and it barely moves at all the way its on right now. is this good?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

That may be too tight. No need for the adjuster to be right in the middle of it's range, because that's the whole point of having an adjuster.