General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 accord horn blaring, brake lights always on

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 12:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 96 accord horn blaring, brake lights always on

On my 96 accord (4 Cyl, manual), with any power going to the battery, my horn blares and my brake lights are always on. I checked under the fuse box and saw that some of the connections looked melted, so I replaced the connections and fuse box, and hooked up the battery and they are still always on. If I pull the fuse for horn/brake lights, it stops, but can’t figure out why it’s still going after replacing the fuse box. Any help would be appreciated.

Side note: I do believe my daytime running lights are always on too, if that has any correlation

Old 12-08-2021, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Did you have any recent work done to your accord? Or any issues that could melt the wiring?

I'd try unplugging the horn relay. It is under the driver's dash towards the center console. It will have 4 wires going to it.

The colors are: wht/yel, wht/yel, blu/red, and lt grn/blu.

Old 12-08-2021, 06:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Did you have any recent work done to your accord? Or any issues that could melt the wiring?

I'd try unplugging the horn relay. It is under the driver's dash towards the center console. It will have 4 wires going to it.

The colors are: wht/yel, wht/yel, blu/red, and lt grn/blu.
I will give that a try in the morning and see what that does, but I think it has to do with the brake/horn fuse because the brake lights are always on too, I was thinking a ground wire maybe? But I’m unsure of where the ground wire goes to for that, and can’t find anywhere online

Old 12-08-2021, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Google CD7_CD9.pdf for a 94 shop manual. The 94 is almost identical to your 96 with some slight differences.

Somehow you are getting power past the brake switch, so I doubt it is a ground wire issue. Just unplug the brake pedal switch to see if the brake lights go out.

Then you will need a volt meter or a test light to figure out what wire(s) are missing or gaining voltage to narrow down the problem(s). I'd almost treat the horn and brake lights as separate problems until you figure out the wire(s) that are causing the problem on each circuit.