General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Accord No Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 12:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I know this thread is 11 y.o. Let me know if I should begin a new thread.

OP; what did you end up doing to solve your issue? I'm facing this as well.

We have my Mom in a nursing home. She gave me her 96 accord. She had an issue with the car not cranking at times. My mom's thinks the whole problem lies with her key fob, which is basically destroyed, the back is missing and she's held the battery in place with a rubber band.
How can I avoid the no crank no start situation? Get a new key fob? Would that take care of it

Also there is a button under dash to the left of the steering column. When I drove the car to my house it would not start. I pressed that button and it started.
A friend of my mom's said that pushing that button does not always result in the car starting but if you left the car alone for a while, it would start.

I did not know about this door auto-locking thing until now so I'll be sure and take the keys out after I park.

As for it having an alarm system, IDK. There is no siren that goes off. The only security system seems to be the door locks and preventing the car from starting. I don't want to live with that uncertainty.

Will I have to let the dealership deal with this or could the right mechanic circumvent the thing? I'm pretty sure that would involve reprogramming the ECU. I'd hate to have to go there.

What is the job of that under dash "reset?" button?

Again, should I start a new thread or would someone please speak here to my Mom's lock out problem?

Thanks a lot!

Old 03-13-2022, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

The FOB has nothing to do with starting the car on a 96 accord.

Just to be clear, when you turn the key to start the engine, does the starter spin the engine? Or does the starter spin the engine (when you normally hold the key in the start position), but the engine will not run on its own (normally when you would release the key)?

Old 03-13-2022, 07:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No; it won't turn over or crank at all.

Old 03-13-2022, 07:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I found the owner's manual and found a separate small handbook for the alarm system. the booklet has the honda logo front and back so it has to be factory right?
I'll study on it tomoro, i'm tired. It did read that pressing the door lock button on the fob arms the system and pressing the unlock button disarms the system.
There was more talk about the main module having 3 settings and it is factory set to the 'manual' setting. I think that manual setting just gives control over to the fob,,i think. I'll study on it tomoro. Like you, i thought it was strictly to open and close doors but there's more goin on i guess.

Thanks for the interest. I'm sure we can sort it out. Thanks a lot!

Old 03-13-2022, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

My 95 didn't have a reset button, so I'm not sure what kind of alarm is installed. Also, follow the wiring from that switch under the dash around the steering wheel. An alarm system should have a control box and wires entering/leaving that will look out of place compared to the factory wiring harness.

Posting some pics of the wiring from that reset switch and/or the under dash area may help out. Try to find a part number on the control unit for that alarm system.

Old 03-13-2022, 08:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well since i'm not capable of investigating that in-depth, i'll have to wait till my buddy comes to visit. He'll look up in there and see what's what and I'll get back to ya. thanks.
I did read that an alarm was indeed an option that year and since i'm looking at a Honda labeled manual for it, i have to assume it's factory installed for now. I'll run the VIN and see what i can find out. thanks again

Old 03-13-2022, 08:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

oh here's a part number right on the cover! P/N 08E51-SV4-100-F

Old 03-13-2022, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Just did a quick look at the owner's manual I found online for that part. It looks like the alarm system is tied to the locks and some vibration sensor and will sound an alarm when tripped. It doesn't look like the alarm system disables the vehicle from starting.

You may have a separate no-crank, no-start problem. When you turn the key to start the vehicle, do you hear a loud click from the starter motor?

Old 03-14-2022, 11:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You may have a separate no-crank, no-start problem.
I'm seeing the same thing as well. No immobilizer! at least we've ruled that out.
I actually can't get the car to not start. When I just now went out there, I turned the key and I can hear the fuel pump sound but i'm not hearing any loud starter noise when as it cranks. The car turns over and starts up well.
I love these intermittent no crank/no start issues.
Since I'm not hearing that starter noise you've mentioned, what's my next goto solution? I've never owned a Honda before now.
Thanks for taking the time; I'd like to use this car to take my mom for a drive in her old familiar car

Old 03-14-2022, 12:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Her one ignition key looks pretty worn down. Would a worn out key cause an intermittent no crank? I can get a new key made at walmart

Quick Reply: 96 Accord No Crank No Start