General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Accord - Replacing Inner Tie Rod Ends

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Question 96 Accord - Replacing Inner Tie Rod Ends

I need to replace the Inner Tie Rod ends on my 96 Accord. I'm wondering if I need a tie rod end removal tool kit or a crows feet to get them out? From what I've read it seems like some people can do this job without it. Also what about buying a pit arm puller?

Would it be more ideal to rent these from the auto parts store?

Also anyone want to recommend a good aftermarket brand to buy?

Old 11-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default inner tie rod

I did a quick search and came up with this link.
inner tie rod end removal? - Honda-Tech

in short you do not need a pitman arm puller, as these cars dont have a steering box per se, you will need a inner tie rod tool, you can rent those at most parts stores, you do not need to count the inner tie rod threads, only the outer,, the ones i have done have a roll pin or a pin of sorts to hold it on the rack once it is screwed on the rack. It is not hard to do giving the proper tools, REMEMBER: Safety first, NEVER EVER get under a car that is not on jack stands or on a lift of sorts, always use wood underneath a jack and jack stands when on soft ground or asphalt, hope this helps and if you need further help send a p,m, or look further on the search page, should be a simple job you can do at home in a few hours, Good luck and please report your progress.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You likely will need the special long socket to reach the flat that threads the inner tierod joint to the rack. There is unlikely to be adequate access to reach w an open end or crow-foot to turn.

A special flat washer w/ bent segment retains the inner tierod end to rack and must be straightend a bit to allow rotation/removal. On installation, you must flatten to provide positive retention.

good luck

Old 11-02-2014, 07:03 PM

Yeah you don't need a pit arm puller, got it off with a mallet hammer... carefully. Will need that kit from the parts store for the inner tie rod.

Was going to reuse the sleeves but on 1 side the sleeve was torn.

Are the inner tie rod ends the same on each side?

Old 11-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Almost A Senior Member

yes inner tie rods are same, new boots for the rack are also readily available.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:15 PM

Should I replace both sides at the same time?

One side is ok but the other side is definitely worn.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:01 AM

If you're planning to replace outer tie rod, you might consider replacing inner tie rod. If boot is in good condition, I'm a firm believer in leaving a good part in place.

good luck

Old 11-03-2014, 08:15 AM

I meant Left and Right sides for the inner ends.

I already replaced the outer ones not too long ago.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 AM

Suggest only replacing inner tie rod if either part is damaged or boot cover needs to be replaced. Replacing boot cover requires most of access work to replace inner tie rod. If boot is in good condition and part is good, leave it alone is my advice.

good luck

Old 11-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Just me , I've replaced inner tie rods on a 95 and didn't need any special tool. Bend the washer out of the way, unscrew the rod, install the new one, be sure to bend the washer over one of the flats on the inner tiie rod hex and done?

Yes, count the number of turns when you remove the outer rod. Use that as a place holder for when you put it back on.....it will get you close enough to get to an alignment shop to finish the job.

And again just me, feel the tension on a new inner and outer tie rod - compare that to the old ones that come off....you decide if they need to be replaced, you are there so there is no better time. Again just my opinion.

Quick Reply: 96 Accord - Replacing Inner Tie Rod Ends