General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Honda Accord LX - Terrible Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Thats weird, the IP address put you in Litttle Rock, AK. Its not a big deal.

5 minutes sounds about normal for the car to get to operating temperature. If the thermostat was stuck open, the engine computer runs rich to help heat the engine. Its your call with the thermostat. If you decide to change it (use only a Honda thermostat), drain the coolant into a clean container and reuse it.

Maybe the cap and rotor will help out the gas mileage. What fuel injector cleaner did you use? A lot of people swear by the chevron stuff.

I kind of agree on the rims. You probably can find them for a decent price at a junkyard. I have seen them on Ebay and Craigslist. I like the look of the EX 15 inch aluminum rims that were on the 94/95 accord.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:06 PM

That is weird, yeah I just got done installing the Distributor Cap and Rotor so Ill fill up my tank and start tracking my gas mileage again for this tank. Yeah I used the long neck Techron fuel injector cleaner made by Chevron so looks like I made the right call on that one.

Im in the process of selling them on craigslist, but that could take some time. in the meantime im going to locate some steelies at a junkyard or hopefully for cheaper on ebay. Thanks for your help guys.

By the way can you think of anything else I could do to increase gas mileage/Performance. Excluding turbos or SC's. I've already done oil change, tranny flush/refill, radiator coolant flush/refill, new plugs/wires, new PCV, fuel injector cleaner and octane booster as well as the intake manifold got seafoamed. Also cleaned the IACV out. The acceleration and general performance increases are incredible from what my car drove like when I first bought it. So can you guys think of any other little engine/performance modifications

Old 07-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Clean the EGR ports. Search d8N-SE047VY on YouTube. The valve cover doesn't need to be removed. I'm guessing he was doing some other work on this accord.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Take a quick look at the air filter.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:41 PM

a free performance mod would be to remove the intake baffle in your passeger fenderwell and remove your intake air resonator(the one that has the sensor plugged into it right under your intake tube behind the battery.

i turned mine into a ram air intake, took the tube that sucks air from under the tube and attached it to the bottom of the air box and have it angled right behind the bumper getting fresh cool air.

not really louder, but i do notice a little increase in throttle response

Old 07-04-2011, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the tips guys, I cleaned the ECG earlier on today. Thanks for the excellent tips/advice. It is much appreciated!

Last edited by poynterandy; 07-04-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When you did EGR cleanout, did you replace orings on injector/fuel rail connections. These can dry out and leak. A leaking injector would definitely impact fuel mileage.

good luck

Old 07-05-2011, 03:02 AM

@PaHonda, I did not, but now that you mention it, I will probably go ahead and replace them since I doubt they've ever been replaced since this accords birth.

@Tek, I'm going to look into this and I will let you know how this goes!