General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 accord 2.2 non vtec - Radiator Fan, Powered Window and Sunroof Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Default 97 accord 2.2 non vtec - Radiator Fan, Powered Window and Sunroof Problem

In re. to this thread: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...g-55823/page3/

I'm having the same problem. I used a jumper wire and jumped it to my power window relay. Because my fan wouldn't come on after I had someone repair the head for me. Since I have done this my fan stopped power window s and sunroof now none of these work. Could someone please help

Last edited by redbull-1; 08-14-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Moved due to different issue
Old 08-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Hello,

I moved your post, as it sounds like a different issue.

Which fan doesn't work (e.g. radiator fan)? Explain a little more why there was a need to jump a wire to the power window relay. What was not working before jumping the wire?

First check the No. 28 fuse (20A) located in the under-hood fuse box. The circuit runs through that fuse to the power window relay and the sunroof. While you're at it, take a look at the No. 30 (30A) fuse; but, that may be okay.

Attached Thumbnails 97 accord 2.2 non vtec - Radiator Fan, Powered Window and Sunroof Problem-underhood-fuse-box.jpg  
Old 08-14-2013, 12:37 PM

Thank you I am new to this. The fan wasn't working abd the car was overheating so my friend used a jumper wire to fix it. It stopped working so I tried it under the power window relay and it cam e on so I left it there windows worjed fine at this point. I was driving and the car overheated again and now the power windows orsunroof will not work. I have replaced the relays for the cooling fan and power windows still nothing works and the fan I had jumped was the condensor fan I thought it was the radiator fan until I read these post and it told me the right way. I don't know what to do I also replaced the fuses and still it doesn't work

Last edited by hondagal74; 08-14-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

I want to understand things a little more first.

1. Remove the jumper wire to the power window relay.

2. Right now, does either fan work? Turn ignition to ON and then turn on the A/C, does either of the fans work?

3. Did you re-check the No. 28 (20A) fuse located in the under-hood fuse box?

The radiator fan motor may possibly be bad; but, we could get to that later.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:33 PM

Yes the fan on the drivers side comes on with air. The other doesn't come on at all. The fuses are good

Old 08-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

1. This may be a little difficult to do, as the connector plug for the radiator fan is located near the bottom of the car. In addition, the plastic splash shield at the bottom of the car gets in the way when you're under the car.

If you can, unplug the radiator fan connector and apply direct 12 volt power and ground to the connector. See attached pic. This way you can tell whether the fan motor is good or bad. You can use long wire just as speaker wires, etc. to run from the car battery or if you have a 12 volt lantern battery lying around, that works too.

2. You said you replaced both relays for the power window and radiator fan, try swapping them with each other and see if your power windows or sunroof work. Fuses need to be good too.

Attached Thumbnails 97 accord 2.2 non vtec - Radiator Fan, Powered Window and Sunroof Problem-fan-motor-test.jpg   97 accord 2.2 non vtec - Radiator Fan, Powered Window and Sunroof Problem-relays.jpg  
Old 08-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

1. Does your power door locks work?

2. Any other electrical lights, etc. not working?

3. Check the No. 1 (10A) fuse located in the under-hood fuse box. Let me know if that is okay.

Last edited by redbull-1; 08-14-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:33 PM

Ok I'm testing the fans now. And it is hard to get to. The doors lock have always been messed up but they still work. Checked fuses everything else works fine I.e lights

Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM

Ok it didn't come on when I tried that

Old 08-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, the radiator fan motor needs replacement. You can purchase the motor separately or with the plastic shroud. But, it sounds like you just need the motor. This other thread has instructions on getting the motor out for replacement. In your case, your radiator fan plastic shroud sounds okay.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ell-off-56001/

For the other problem with the power windows and sunroof, so you check the fuses I referred to (No. 1, 28, and 30)? Do you have a voltmeter or test light?

Quick Reply: 97 accord 2.2 non vtec - Radiator Fan, Powered Window and Sunroof Problem