General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Accord starts rough on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Never could get the IACV off, so I never cleaned it, but my problem is still here. Started my car today and it misfired. Went to autozone and I got random misfire and misfire in cylinder 1. WTF! The guy suggested to change my air filter and PCV valve? My dad is suggesting that it could be the ignition coil, but isn't that built into the distributor?

Old 06-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

I would clean out the EGR ports. Look at the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. There is a link for 94-97 accord EGR port cleaning.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I would clean out the EGR ports. Look at the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. There is a link for 94-97 accord EGR port cleaning.
How long does it typically take to do this? Looking at the thread it looks like a lot of work. Although I'll go through with it since it's never been done before.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

It should be less than an hour. There should be a YouTube video reference in that thread that will be helpful.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Took my car up to autozone and told them how I wanted to clean my EGR passages. They kept insisting that the EGR passages weren't under the fuel rail as described in the other thread. Anyway, they came out and I showed them where I was talking about and they still disagreed, although they found a problem I didn't catch. A hose was pulled lose from my intake maifold. They said it was a hose that had to do with my EGR valve. It was on the left side of the mani where two hoses connect, and it was the bottom one. Not sure what it does but I'll see if that fixed my problem in the morning!

Old 06-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Cleaned EGR passageways yesterday and my problem still persists! RPMs sit at 1500 until warmed up. Fluncuating also occurs while idle.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Here's a video of me doing a cold start. I didn't give it gas until near the end. The CEL is because it misfired earlier and it just gives misfire codes...
97 Accord misfires on cold start - YouTube

Old 06-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

I'm coming in way late on this....so sorry if I'm covering the "same ground".

Cold idle should be 1500 rpm until warm...it should slowly drop to ~750. This is handled by the FITV....so to me I didn't see anything "wrong" in the video.

I know that it was brought up before....but I too have seen a head gasket that will weep. Meaning sitting for a long period of time, coolant will pool in the cyl(s). Then when you start the car it takes a bit to burn, clear the coolant.....cold start misfire.

There are some kits you can get (autozone, ect) where you can test the coolant for exhaust gases....this would be ~$35 test to rule it out. Search for "Block Tester" on autozones site and you will see the kit I am talking about.

Last edited by poorman212; 06-10-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
I'm coming in way late on this....so sorry if I'm covering the "same ground".

Cold idle should be 1500 rpm until warm...it should slowly drop to ~750. This is handled by the FITV....so to me I didn't see anything "wrong" in the video.

I know that it was brought up before....but I too have seen a head gasket that will weep. Meaning sitting for a long period of time, coolant will pool in the cyl(s). Then when you start the car it takes a bit to burn, clear the coolant.....cold start misfire.

There are some kits you can get (autozone, ect) where you can test the coolant for exhaust gases....this would be ~$35 test to rule it out. Search for "Block Tester" on autozones site and you will see the kit I am talking about.
Any other ways to check for a head gasket leak besides buying the kit? I really hope that isn't the case because from what I've heard head gaskets are expensive to get done...I did what Roader suggested to do and I didn't see anything.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Looked on the underside of my radiator cap and found some blackish brown gunk...pretty sure I know what that means. Also pulled my plugs and found the same blackish brown gunk on the bottom of the plugs...cleaned them all off and it started perfectly.

Quick Reply: 97 Accord starts rough on cold start