General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Accord ECM/PCM testing

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 06:26 PM
Default 98 Accord ECM/PCM testing

Hi I'm Steve, new here. Betsy, my 98 accord 4 dr auto 2.3 also new here. Ive been a mechanic for 40 yrs.....popped the intake off to clean EGR to make sure i passed smog, put her back together, ran awesome for a day or two. The interlock solenoid wouldn't let me take it out of park so i used a screwdriver to release it. no CEL light. Drove it and the trans wont up-shift so i i put it in 1st take off and it manually shift to 2nd...it works no 3rd or 4th. i bring it back and scanned it. I have OBD2 software on my laptop. comes back with 2 codes. P1106 Barometric and P1753 lock up sol. so i replaced the lock up sol. and the dual linear sol. for good measure. Didn't fix it......yet. so i looked into the baro problem and troubleshooted it as per Honda's diagnostic manual. now i'm to the part where i swap a known good ECM for this one. I visually inspected the inside and inside bottom ....nothing, looked great no burns or arcing.So since the baro unit is in the ECM what I want to know is can i test and repair this one if faulty and what resources are there available to assist me. i have ocilliscopes and I build and repair computers , is it possible to repair ? Then i'll let you know about the unrelated trans problem.

Last edited by SteveCisMe; 08-14-2021 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-09-2021, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Not many people have equipment or your skills, so it may be hard to find a repair guide.

If you can find the BARO sensor soldered to the PCM, you may find a cracked solder joint that you can try to repair? I'm not sure if you can easily find that component on the web to try and replace. There aren't any wires you can test to identify the actual problem, since it is on the PCM board.

Old 02-23-2023, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by SteveCisMe
Hi I'm Steve, new here. Betsy, my 98 accord 4 dr auto 2.3 also new here. Ive been a mechanic for 40 yrs.....popped the intake off to clean EGR to make sure i passed smog, put her back together, ran awesome for a day or two. The interlock solenoid wouldn't let me take it out of park so i used a screwdriver to release it. no CEL light. Drove it and the trans wont up-shift so i i put it in 1st take off and it manually shift to 2nd...it works no 3rd or 4th. i bring it back and scanned it. I have OBD2 software on my laptop. comes back with 2 codes. P1106 Barometric and P1753 lock up sol. so i replaced the lock up sol. and the dual linear sol. for good measure. Didn't fix it......yet. so i looked into the baro problem and troubleshooted it as per Honda's diagnostic manual. now i'm to the part where i swap a known good ECM for this one. I visually inspected the inside and inside bottom ....nothing, looked great no burns or arcing.So since the baro unit is in the ECM what I want to know is can i test and repair this one if faulty and what resources are there available to assist me. i have ocilliscopes and I build and repair computers , is it possible to repair ? Then i'll let you know about the unrelated trans problem.
​​​​​​DId you ever get your issues fixed, I have an 02 accord that I just installed a new engine and trans and everything ran fine for a week and then same issues you had started happening to me. Couldn't shift from park and if I did drive it car would wanna carry rpm on its own. I got a tps code one day then the next day a map code then the next day was the baro code, but each day it never showed the old codes in the system anymore.