General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 honda accord catalytic converter question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:33 PM

my 99 accord had the same issues...

I replaced the EGR valve, which is half of the catalytic system... and the check engine light was still on... car ran fine... I replaced the catalitic converter, and reset the code with a cheap OBD2 scanner i borrowed from the kid at uhaul, and that was it....

I have gut out many many cats, and put back on the vehicle untill I was able to buy another. Never done it on a honda, but whats the worst that could happen??? It runs to strong?? Too much air..? Gut it out, and take it easy... Find a uhaul center, and ask them to scan your car, and erase the code... drive it a bit, see if it come back on.. It most likely will because your cat is hollow, but at least you can get a to b untill your get a new cat.

I got my cat for like 98 bucks online, shipped for 20.. junk *** muffler shop put it on for 50...

she runs great still, 10k miles later.. no cel anymore either

Old 01-25-2011, 07:38 PM

LOL forget about the o2sensor... where is the oil leak???

Hollow out that cat, and reinstall.... clean off the EGR valve, reinstall...

Go from there... leave the 02sensor for now... and If you have replaced the plugs, leave them be too...for now

Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Remember that the O2 sensor actually measures oxygen DIFFERENCE between inside & outside of the sensor. So an exhaust leak blowing onto the outside of the sensor can throw off the measurement. Also oil or crud dripping onto the sensor. If that's the front O2 sensor, that'll affect the fuel mixture & might cause some of the problems.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:11 PM

omg thank you so much! now just one question for u guys....how would i clean it without crud falling inside? and im afraid to take my cat off bc the bolts r sooooo rusty and i dnt want to break them if i cant get new bolts to fit it

Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Something like brake cleaner might work, but it's also very possible the sensor is damaged by having the dirt burned into the surface of the sensing element. New sensor is the best fix, but you know it's pretty easy for me to spend your money...

Can't find any kind of hardware store nearby with bolts that fit? They won't be identical but they'll work.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 PM

well im in the middle of no where basically lol small town on current river full of rednecks and family businesses. the closest autozone or anything is about 50 miles away, but i will see what our parts store has for me.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 AM

sometimes you have to get what you can to fix the issues, at least untill you can get it fixed right...

some wd40, or pb blaster... get the bolts off... i used a big screw driver and rammed it all thru the honeycomb inside the cat...dump that crap in a bag, dont breathe it in, and tie it up st8 to the trash...

cats are expensive, only do this if your r positive it will help... because you do have other issues going on.

make sure first you can replace the bolts if you have to, with some bolts from wherever you can find some... bolt and nuts allways go bigger if you can find the same size... ream out the hole so it a tad wider to fit your new bolts..
IF you can get the same size.

I did this to my camaro, and 2 s10's.. and had no issues... buit i dont need emissions here...

Old 01-26-2011, 01:08 PM

ok well i just took the egr off and cleaned it, it was pretty dirty. now i wanna clean the area it bolts into but idk how to without getting brakecleaner and gunk inside.........
and thank youfor the help, i wasnt sure how to get the crap out of the cat if there is any. im glad you guys understand that i cant exactly get to a code reader right now lol, being that im in the middle of nowhere and have no car lol

Old 01-26-2011, 01:16 PM

Old 01-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

There is a way to jump two of the pins of the 16-pin obd2 connector where you can read codes like the obd1 accords. All you will need is a paperclip.

Make sure that you jump the pin with the brown wire to the pin with the black wire. Then turn the key to the II position, then count the check engine light flashes. A long blink=10, short=1. See how to get CEL codes in the DIY section.

See: alflash.com.ua/honda.htm

Quick Reply: 98 honda accord catalytic converter question