General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 V6 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 01:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 98 V6 Transmission

Hey guys,

I bought a 98 V6 coupe in pristine shape (75,000 miles, first hand owner was an old lady) and had the trans reman (I think she forgot to service the trans oil or she went to a garage that stamped the service sheet without doing the job...).

Once the reman unit is on the car, it still doesn't shift as smooth as it was (especially between 1st and 2nd too). Tried another reman trans, changed the ECU with no success.

So I'm thinking about adding a cooler and "upgraded" valves. Any brand or shop to direct me to so that I can ask a pro too?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Last edited by PAhonda; 06-28-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Move your post to a new thread, because 2 different issues on the one thread gets confusing.

Since you have the same issue with 2 transmissions and also 2 PCMs, then I'm not sure a transmission cooler will help. Your transmission should already have lines going to the radiator to help cool as well.

What do you mean that it doesn't shift as smooth? Does it slam into the next gear, or is it late in shifting?

Have you checked that your shift cable is properly adjusted?

Also, have you checked for any engine or transmission codes?

Old 06-29-2020, 06:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hello PAhonda,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Haven't checked anything yet since I'm getting the car back this week (to make a long story short, the car has been at a dealer for... 2 1/2 years now and the guy can't fix it.... and still wants to bill me...).

The trans used to be butter smooth. Now, it shifts late when it does and, when it does, it slams into the next as you described.

As soon as I get it back, I'm going to check the shift cable adjustment and the codes.

Any comments regarding the "upgraded valves" or am I going too fast ? :-)

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

I'd hold off on the valves for now, because they may not fix your problem.

I'm not automatic expert, but it sounds like you have some sort of control issue, where either the signal to shift is late, or a valve could be stuck that is slamming the trans into the next gear.

I'd start with the simple stuff first, then start considering more complicated items.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah, that's what I figured too...
I'll just do all the tests when I get the car back and report.
Thanks for your help.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Meccano
Yeah, that's what I figured too...
I'll just do all the tests when I get the car back and report.
Thanks for your help.
Were you able to find out if they rebuilt your old one? Or replaced it with a rebuilt one from a rebuilder? Just asking as there were 2 models of transmissions used for the 6th generation Accords. One version is the 98-99, and the other is the 2000-2002. This also applies to the 4 cylinder engines as well within the same years (and is called out in the FSM). The big difference in the years is the electronics, as the later (newer) cars got more electronics in them.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have to check and find out: my original trans was rebuilt and it didn't help. So the mechanic ordered a rebuilt one from a rebuilder in the U.S. Not better. Then he replaced the ECU and no change either.
So now in the car, I have a rebuilt trans (2nd one) and a used ECU (I was thinking maybe reinstall the original trans and ECU but if it's a cable problem or something like that, I guess it would make no difference...).

So I guess I'll check all that when I get the car back and report back ASAP.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Toecutter, are there any identifying marks on the transmission to tell whether it's from 1998-99 vs 2000-2002? That might help Meccano decide what to do next.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks a lot JimBlake for your help.
I wanted to do my homework first: find out the trans S/N, what year it is, compare with the ECU S/N to make sure no harness is missing,... and report back to let you all know.
By the way, any improvements with the 2000-2002 trans and additional electronics?

I have several options: either the new trans is pre-2000 and I just need to check the compatibility with the ECU, or it's 2000-2002 and I have to check if anything is missing and compat with ECU too.

Of course, right after that, I'll do the suggested tests and code capture and tell you guys.

Thanks for your support.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Toecutter, are there any identifying marks on the transmission to tell whether it's from 1998-99 vs 2000-2002? That might help Meccano decide what to do next.
The FSM doesn't really call it out, like with a paint strip or something (like GM would). I think you just have to run the numbers stamped in it, and go from there.

Quick Reply: 98 V6 Transmission