General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 V6 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

The OBD2 connector should be in that general area. It is typically near the plastic panel that covers the bottom of the steering column. It may sit slightly behind the panel. When sitting in the driver's seat, it should be to the left the steering column, but I am not 100% sure on this.

Try to get the codes read if you can. If not, then you should consider a used OEM part, because the IAC is not a common problem from my experience on accords. There is always risk for used parts, but I think there is also risk on very cheap aftermarket parts as well.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Correct, but it's way to the left of the steering column. Look for the OBD-2 plug closer to the door, and closer to where the dashboard curves upwards. More like above the driver's left knee, not close to the dead-pedal.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

OK, JimBlake, thanks for the info, I'll check again and report.
By the way, I had a 900SPG for 20 years but the tranny died on me (another one....) and I'm selling it for parts now... :-(
Anyway, I really like the Accord coupe look too :-)

Old 08-20-2020, 09:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey guys,
Another dumb question probably but I've been reading the FSM and can't be 100% sure that I'm right:

The crook dealer I got the car back from left a few "surprises" for me I guess... For example, in addition to the idle problem, my fans don't come on when they should so I wanted to test the circuit with the "paper clip" procedure but I can't seem to find the fan switch....
I found something but I'm not sure it's the right one. Should be on the throttle body, right between the coolant hoses close to the AIC Valve, right?
Thanks again for all the help.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So sorry to bother you again but still can't find the OB2 plug.... Is there something plugged in it? Do I have to unplug a connector to access it?

Old 08-20-2020, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Don't short anything until someone on here verifies that the 98 V6 has a fan temp switch like the older accords.

There shouldn't be anything plugged into the obd2 port unless someone left their obd2 bluetooth connected to the OBD2 plug. The OBD2 connector should be the only trapezoid shaped connector in that area.

Old 08-22-2020, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

I just noticed - it looks like Meccano is in France. Since OBD-2 comes from US EPA, does anyone know if they install that stuff in France?

I'm not sure, but it might have a cover on the OBD-2 port.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey guys,
Right JimBlake, I am in France and I bought the car in Switzerland... Not sure if the OBD2 plug is available here but it looks like all the coupes were built in Ohio and then sent to different countries, at least for Europe.

Anyway, I worked with a tech friend (20 years in industrial maintenance: electric, electronic, hydraulic,...) and we cleaned the AIC: idle is fine again.

Then we disconnected one part at a time to try to narrow the causes.

We spoted four parts that my friend thinks I should change: valves B & C and the 2 transmission speed sensors (mainshaft and countershaft). He says that, even though they were tested good (impedance, voltage,....), they are 20 years old and might not function as smooth as they should.
Fixing the idle makes the car a lot smoother now of course, speeds are still shifting a little harsh but nothing compared to what it was, only problem left seems to be late shifting from 1st to 2nd (up and down) but during all my oil drains, I had once and for 2 days a butter-smooth transmission, I had to have my hand on the wheel to notice that it shifted. So it IS possible :-) and I'm going to try to restore it this way.

Any ideas about what we found, what are your thoughts and advice?

Thanks all for your help.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh and fan switch plug shorted too, fans work fine, I have to see if it doesn't turn on because it's not hot enough or because it's shot.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Equipment installed (like headlights & stuff controlled by local laws) are done for the country that it's destined to be sold for, not the country that it was built in.

Quick Reply: 98 V6 Transmission