General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 accord 4cyl humming sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Default RE: 99 accord 4cyl humming sound

Not to my knowledge. I bought the car used with no records on it. It's got the stock airbox on it. Nothing modified that I noticed. The car drives fine, so now i'm starting to think maybe it's just how the car sounds?

Old 09-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Check altenator for whine, put a short'nd broom stick on it up to your ear and listen thru it for the whine..see if that's it...

ORIGINAL: ckebottle

oops my mistake....yeah, when i open up the hood and somebody revs engine....no sound. belts all seem fine, no squeaking etc. i had my buddy drive the car and tried to listen to where the sound is coming from, all i can tell is the front right side. i am unable to pinpoint it's specific location. i guess it's more of a whine than a hum. i had co worker drive the car and listen and he told me it's just normal. i'm not use to 4 cylinders so i might be just tripping out since it's used car and i'm paranoid sigh.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

differential in transmission

Old 09-27-2006, 01:35 PM

Since it only occurs when you're driving and it sounds like it's on the right side I'd say it's either just tire noise, it's normal, or you're hearing something funky from your CV's... It's REALLY hard to diagnose/troubleshoot sounds online.... I'd take it to a reputable mechanic and have them drive it and see what they say

Old 09-27-2006, 03:39 PM

Yeah. I'll take it in to the mechanic. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 09-28-2006, 09:31 PM

Update.....took the car to the mechanic. He said he is almost 95% sure it's the transmission. He think it's a bearing going out and causing the whining or the differential. He said not toworry too much about it and it can probably go for a year, but listen to make sure the whining doesn't get worse.

He told me to take it to some tranny shops and see what they think. Are the tranny people going to tell me it needs to be rebuilt? Would it be cheaper to buy a remanufactured one? My mechanic said he would swap them out for 200 bucks.

On a lighter note he said all the belts and fluids look excellent. I'm stoked about that. At least there is some good in this visit = )

Old 09-29-2006, 06:58 PM

$200.00 sounds like a good price for swapping out the tranny.... but just because you got a bad bearing shouldn't require a new tranny.... If it really is just your differential bearings that's maybe $100.00 in parts then whatever they want for labor....

Old 09-30-2006, 04:43 PM

I took it to a bunch of tranny shops. Most just wanted to do a swap and several wanted to do rebuilds. Nobody wanted to just go in there and fix the problem sigh. How is attarco? Are they reliable? They want 895.00 for a rebuilt tranny but I have to use the solenoids off of my old tranny and pick it up myself. Anybody have experience with attarco?

Old 09-30-2006, 07:11 PM

this is a strange question (and I could probably re-read the post and find the answer but...) have you checked your tranny fluid? is it the right level? does it need changed? could this be a lubrication issue?

Old 09-30-2006, 10:25 PM

Oh transaxle grease is fine, fluid was low though and was filled up. Maybe flush the tranny fluid out? Thx for your help sir nasty, it's greatly appreciated = )

Quick Reply: 99 accord 4cyl humming sound