General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Accord - Engine dies intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Default 99 Accord - Engine dies intermittently

My ‘99 accord (4 cyl, auto, 120K miles) is showing some strange (scary) symptoms. About 2 times in past 3 months while driving on highway, the car suddenly jerks and the engine seems to just die. Each time I was able to start the car right back up and it continues to drive without any further problem. First time when this happened I was driving in heavy rain, so I thought it was related to moisture and when I got the same checked, my mechanic found that the distributor head (plastic piece) had lost a bolt and that could have been causing the moisture to leak inside the distributor causing the engine to die. That issue was fixed and I did not face the issue till yesterday when I was driving under normal/sunny weather conditions. I was driving at about 60 mph on highway when I felt the jerk (like sudden braking) and saw the “maintenance” and “key” lights turn on. I immediately pulled over and tried to restart, but realized that the engine was already running. I am not sure if the engine had dies at all or not for that fraction of a second. Either ways it seems to be very unsafe to be driving in this situation. Please help.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

See if you can make it happen by wiggling the key (when traffic allows). Flaky ignition switches are semi-common. (If you can't make it happen, that doesn't PROVE the switch is OK.)

Call your favorite dealer. They should be able to look up your VIN & tell you whether the ignition-switch recall applies to your car and whether it's already been done. Still, if it HAS been done, they just replace the same switch - it hasn't been re-designed.