General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Accord Spark Plug Tube, Pulled some piece out. Not sure what it is.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Default 99 Accord Spark Plug Tube, Pulled some piece out. Not sure what it is.

Hello fellow Accord Owners,

I recently decided to do a spark plug change on my 99 Accord. Its at 45,000 miles, and I think the original plugs so I thought I should do them. Anyway I went with stock NGK ZFR5F-11's. When I did the #4 cylinder I noticed it had a fair amount of oil on the removed plug, and in the tube. It wasnt full, but enough to wonder if its going to be an issue. Anyway I cleaned it up, got the oil out of the tube, and was about to put the new plug in and torque it, when I noticed something sticking out from the edge of the tube. It was plastic, and metal protruding from in between the valve cover and the spark plug tube. Im not sure what it was, but it was broke and no other tube had this same thing sticking out. I thought it might be just a piece of the inner part of the spark plug wire, and I didnt want it falling into the tube so I used some needle nose pliers to pull it out. Well I was surprised that the piece was a lot larger than I thought. I got the whole thing out and now that its out it looks like maybe some sort of seal. The kind that has metal in it. I was worried it might have been the cause of the oil leak.

Im not sure so I took pics and figured you guys could help me figure it out. I finished up the plug change. Ran the car for awhile, then rechecked that same #4 and there was no oil. So Im not sure what it is, and what if anything should be done. Anyway your help as always is appreciated. Heres the pics I took of it.

Attached Thumbnails 99 Accord Spark Plug Tube, Pulled some piece out. Not sure what it is.-innertube.th.jpg   99 Accord Spark Plug Tube, Pulled some piece out. Not sure what it is.-showsplastic.th.jpg   99 Accord Spark Plug Tube, Pulled some piece out. Not sure what it is.-wholepiece.th.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

no idea what that is, but the oil is a leaking spark plug tube seal (between the cyl head and valve cover) highly recommend replacement of the VC gasket set. and you may want to think about checking the valve adjustment while you're in there.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
no idea what that is, but the oil is a leaking spark plug tube seal (between the cyl head and valve cover) highly recommend replacement of the VC gasket set. and you may want to think about checking the valve adjustment while you're in there.
After some more research I think it is the gasket that goes under the valve cover around the spark plug tubes. The metal must be whats inside the grommet/ seal. And it just got stretched out when I pulled it out. Heres a pic.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Custnam; 03-05-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

As the Dr stated...time for a new vc gasket and tube seals.....that is part of the tube seal. Be sure to put a "dab" of silicone on the corners of the cam "humps" when you install the vc gasket.

Attached Thumbnails 99 Accord Spark Plug Tube, Pulled some piece out. Not sure what it is.-vc-gasket.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Already bought the felpro kit. Does it require the liquid gasket?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, please do yourself a favor and apply a coat of silicone to the areas in the pic I posted....those sharp corners where the gasket mates with the cam humps need a little help.....again just my opinion, others might/will say something else. Permetex offers a good line of sealants.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Agree about those corners. I think Permatex "Ultra-Grey" is the same thing as that Honda sealant.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Agree about those corners. I think Permatex "Ultra-Grey" is the same thing as that Honda sealant.
OK. I picked up the permatex ultra Grey at Walmart. (lucky I guess). Anyway Im about to start this and have another quick question. In the pic I attached do I cover the whole surface area where I marked the "X"'s? And how much should I use? Light coat, a lot? Thanks guys again for all the help.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:56 AM

Guys I also need some help removing the old spark plug seals. Ive tried and tried. There all torn up and ripped up from trying to remove. Ive used the hammer and screwdriver from the top and bottom, tried prying. Nothing works. Its like they are glued or something. I also tried liquid wrench. Nothing is working.

Never mind, I got it. A little brute force, and a hammer and screwdriver and they finally came out.

Last edited by Custnam; 03-07-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

In between the "X"s in your photo is a corner/edge. Put a little on that corner. It's less important to cover the flat surfaces with "X" as long as you get some on that square edge. Just a little is needed. Too much will ooze out & harden into globs inside your engine.

The rubber corner is not "sharp" enough by itself to get into the seam between the 2 metal pieces. (the seam between the head itself & the cam-bearing cap)

Now for those tube seals...
Make sure you haven't scratched up the metal surface with that screwdriver. That would make a leak path. If you have any scratches (especially deep gouges) use a little bit of grey goop there too.

Quick Reply: 99 Accord Spark Plug Tube, Pulled some piece out. Not sure what it is.