General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 accord stuck in gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 04:32 PM
Default 99 accord stuck in gear

I have a '99 accord LX 2.3l 5 speed. 4door. I had a slight sputter or hesitation it felt like in the engine when I bought it in April. I would be driving 55 MPH and the car would loose power all of a sudden and just like coast, no matter how hard I pushed on the gas it would do nothing not even rev up then all of a sudden it would "reingage" and shoot you back in your seat. I started replacing parts and changed just about everything but it just never went away. So one day I started my car and put it in reverse to back out of my driveway and went from reverse to first and it wouldn't move. I couldn't release the clutch or it would stall out like it was in 5th gear I couldn't keep the rpms up high enough to take off and I couldn't switch gears nothing would happen.... I looked under the hood with a friend in the car pushing the clutch and switching through the gears. Everything seems to work properly no grinding nothing but it's still stuck in fifth so my question is can I just change out the shift solenoid and other solenoids or is this maybe worse than that? The clutch never slips it shifted just fine before other than that "hesitation"

Old 07-14-2021, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

The manual transmission doesn't have shift solenoids. My first thought is that one of the 2 shift cables is broken or disconnected. On top of the transmission you'll see the cables operating 2 cranks. One cable for forward-back motion of the gearshift lever, and the other cable for side-to-side motion of the shift lever. Check out the motion of those, with the engine not running and the clutch pedal pressed down.

Front-to-back motion (like shifting between 3rd & 4th) will only have one cable & crank moving.
Side-to-side motion (like the lever is in neutral & pushing it side to side without pushing into any of the gears) will have the other cable & crank moving.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:29 AM

I have already checked the gear shift levers they are moving when I try to shift but no gear changes occur. When I push the clutch In, the fork thing that engages and disengages the clutch moves. there's no indication that the bearing in the clutch is broke but I did hear a loud whining coming from the the transmission when it was in 4th and driving down the road.maybe this was an indication of a bad bearing. Thanks for any and all input.

Old 07-16-2021, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

If the cables & levers at the transmission are working correctly, then unfortunately the next thing is the shifting linkage inside the transmission.