General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'99 V6 parasitic drain at 410 milliamps. Source?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 09:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Greetings Accord owners. Sadly, my repair didn't hold for very long and the control unit failed. After triple checking the #2 wire at the AC control connector, I found no battery voltage present with the key in the "On" position. I did this as instructed in the factory manual. I took the car to an auto electric place because the no power condition seemed to point to a broken wire between the fuse box and the controls. After dropping the car off I got a call from the service writer who said the car needed a new control unit. I asked him if he was sure that the unit was getting power. He said it was. So somehow I blew that one, I guess. Ultimately they put a used unit in from a junkyard. Somewhat risky, but new one was way too much money.

Here's my real question: After the unit was installed and being told that it was working fine, the writer said they just needed to check for any additional issues with the A/C. I then got a call where he said that the "valves" needed to be replaced, and that it would be an extra $60. I went along with it because I seemed to recall that it wasn't holding a good charge, at least the A/C wasn't blowing as cold has usual. Moments later I thought to myself, just how are they going to replace the high side valve, in particular, without evacuating and recharging the system? I asked the guy at the shop and he said that they could do it without evacuating, etc. He said they had a "special, very expensive, machine" that can do it.

So, OK, my real, real question: Does anyone know of a machine that would actually allow a professional tech to remove and replace a high side schraeder valve without losing the refrigerant charge? Very fast hands maybe? Any input is appreciated. I just want to know if I've been a bit "had". Many thanks. Cheers.

Never mind. It looks like a tool does exist to do this job without evacuating system. It's called an A/C valve installer. It's a hand tool that has a ball valve that closes off the port while you pull the old schraeder and install the new. So, yes, special tool, but not expensive at all. Cheers.

Last edited by MrRoundel; 07-08-2023 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Add info about existence of tool.