General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS Intermittent Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 12:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default ABS Intermittent Light

Hello,
A few months ago my ABS light started coming on after driving for a bit, then would go off. It hasn't come for a while, but now it seems to come on every time I start the car and then goes off at various times. Sometimes it will go off after 2 minutes of driving, and then sometimes stay on for 10+ minutes.

I was able to pull the ABS codes and there are a ton of them. I am hoping there is a main reason for all these codes (bad relay or something). If anyone can provide some insight, that would be great. Winter is coming and I want to get this fixed before then!

CODES:
12 - wheel sensor (electrical noise/intermittent interruption) FR
16 - wheel sensor (electrical noise/intermittent interruption) RR
17 - wheel sensor (open/short to body ground/short to power) RL
32 - solenoid (short to body ground/short to wire) FR-OUT
37 - solenoid (short to body ground/short to wire) RL-IN
51 - motor lock
53 - motor stuck ON
81 - central processing unti (CPU)

Any ideas what it could be?

Old 11-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Please include year, model, etc. of your accord.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Please include year, model, etc. of your accord.
2000 Accord EX 4cyl.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a code reader, clear the codes. Drive the car until the ABS light turns on, then scan for codes right after the abs light turns on. Post the codes on here.

Since you have numerous codes, I suspect the code 81 is the most likely culprit for all these codes.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If you have a code reader, clear the codes. Drive the car until the ABS light turns on, then scan for codes right after the abs light turns on. Post the codes on here.

Since you have numerous codes, I suspect the code 81 is the most likely culprit for all these codes.
I don't have a code reader. I pulled the codes by shorting the black and brown wires on the ECU module on the driver's side kick panel.

How else can I clear them?

Old 11-12-2016, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Copied a post on a different forum. Not sure if the pin numbers listed are correct. Just jump the DLC connector like you did to read your abs codes. When finished try reading the codes again. Let us know what happens.

Place the jumper across 9&4 of your diagnostic plug, just as you would do to read the engine or abs codes. With the jumper in place, follow the steps below:

Turn witch to the on (not start) position
As soon as the abs light comes on, press the brake pedal
As soon as the abs light turns off, release the brake pedal
As soon as the abs light comes on, press the brake pedal again
As soon as the abs lught turns off, release the brake pedal
The abs light will flash 2 times indicating there are no more fault codes and the light is reset
Turn ignition switch off, remove the jumper, abs light should be out

If at the end of the above procedure the abs light flashes 3 times, you still have a problem with your abs and the light will not reset until all faults are taken care off

Old 11-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by badlt
2000 Accord EX 4cyl.
To clear codes on a 2000 Accord, pull fuse #13 on the right end (passenger side) of the dash.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
To clear codes on a 2000 Accord, pull fuse #13 on the right end (passenger side) of the dash.
How long do you keep it out for? Will that affect anything else with the car?

Old 11-13-2016, 02:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Copied a post on a different forum. Not sure if the pin numbers listed are correct. Just jump the DLC connector like you did to read your abs codes. When finished try reading the codes again. Let us know what happens.

Place the jumper across 9&4 of your diagnostic plug, just as you would do to read the engine or abs codes. With the jumper in place, follow the steps below:

Turn witch to the on (not start) position
As soon as the abs light comes on, press the brake pedal
As soon as the abs light turns off, release the brake pedal
As soon as the abs light comes on, press the brake pedal again
As soon as the abs lught turns off, release the brake pedal
The abs light will flash 2 times indicating there are no more fault codes and the light is reset
Turn ignition switch off, remove the jumper, abs light should be out

If at the end of the above procedure the abs light flashes 3 times, you still have a problem with your abs and the light will not reset until all faults are taken care off
Hello,
So I did what you suggested and after the brake pedal cycling, the ABS light flashed twice really fast and then stayed on on the third blink. I turned the ignition to off and then on again and now the only code it's giving is 53. I tried it 3-4 times and that is the only code it's giving now:

53 - motor stuck ON

Any ideas how to fix this one?

Thank you

Old 11-13-2016, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

The first step says to check if the pump motor operates when the ignition switch in the off position.

Quick Reply: ABS Intermittent Light