General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS and Parking Brake Lights on in instrument cluster.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 03:20 AM
Default ABS and Parking Brake Lights on in instrument cluster.

My wife drives my first ever car. A 2006 Honda Accord sedan EX, A/T and the 2.4L A while ago I noticed that the ABS and BRAKE messages were lit in the cluster, and saw them again yesterday when she picked me up from the shop I work at, and she says they haven’t gone out. I’m hold G1, A4, and A7 certifications. So while familiar, I’m still spotty in some areas as I progress in the field. Back in December I did a emergency brake job on the car, just pads and lubricant on the contact points. The lights followed a couple months later. There hasn’t and still isn’t any operating function concerns with the braking system itself, save for the ABS, which hasn’t had to be engaged and the parking brake operates when applied. I’ll hopefully be able to get the Autel on it this week at work, but I actually have time tomorrow to start working on this finally. Any tips, fixes or places to start for this problem?

Thanks, JJ
2006, Honda Accord EX, A/T 2.4L

Old 08-04-2019, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

The abs codes will direct where you need to start testing. If you have a scanner, you may want to monitor the speed of each wheel while driving to see if one of the abs sensors is sending a bad reading to the engine computer.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:40 AM

The sad excuse of a scan tool they had at advanced auto parts gave me these codes

I don’t have the shops IATN or Identafix login handy, so I’m gonna see what AllData has to offer. But from these, any direction would be helpful.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:57 AM

I managed to find a parts store that could at least let me pull the codes
I have malfunction DTCs for three wheel sensors (RF 12-1, LF 14-1, RR 16-1)
61-1 Batt Voltage Malf.
as well as P0134 and P1157

Old 08-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Jejohnson6
I managed to find a parts store that could at least let me pull the codes
I have malfunction DTCs for three wheel sensors (RF 12-1, LF 14-1, RR 16-1)
61-1 Batt Voltage Malf.
as well as P0134 and P1157
Do you live in an area were they salt the roads? If so, then that might be the cause of the ABS codes, and the 1157 code (rusted out recovery line from the EVAP unit under the left rear seat. I found that on my 99 Accord when I was replacing my brake lines. The end of the steel line rusted right off at the rubber connecting hose.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:06 PM

No, I live on the coast of NW Fla. we did just get rocked by a cat 5 hurricane in October, and it is the coast so salt definitely could a factor.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

That is a lot of abs codes to come up at once. The code 61-1 is odd, because the shop manual says a 61-1x is for the driver's seat buckle switch.

Since the abs light has a bunch of codes, take a look for any obvious damage to the wire harness connecting to the abs modulator-control unit. Look for exposed wires that may have rubbed due to engine vibration.

Has your check engine light been on the whole time too? Or did the CEL turn on recently with the abs light?

Old 08-04-2019, 05:42 PM

I had to log in to AllData to find anything with that, and according to some articles I’ve been reading, a starting and charging system test maybe the best place to start. The CEL isn’t on and the car runs great, but tomorrow I’m going to hook the shops scan tools in and hopefully get more information from the unit it’s self, and to top this off, my memory saver died while I had the Batt disconnected, I have a code that I got from that website, but guess what, it ain’t working. So look out for another post.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Jejohnson6
No, I live on the coast of NW Fla. we did just get rocked by a cat 5 hurricane in October, and it is the coast so salt definitely could a factor.
With all of the codes, I was wondering if it had been involved in a flood is why I was asking. Sometimes being in the salt belt causes these kind of things too.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:21 PM

Not that I know of, then again, where my driveway ends at least 200 meters either direction was ankle to knee deep and we got a little water in from under the door(a little higher than driveway) but when my wife was pulling out this morning, I did notice some of the diodes in the RR LED brake lamp flicker briefly. I load tested the batt this morning, tested the charging system with passing results. So I’m going to pull a tire and test a sensor

Quick Reply: ABS and Parking Brake Lights on in instrument cluster.